Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 85 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 81 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Solonoid activated ping pong ball launcher...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Solonoid activated ping pong ball launcher...

Unread postAuthor: Mac/pistol man » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:28 pm

Hey everyone. I am taking a summer robotics class, and made a pneumatic ping pong ball gun to go on it (we are doing a ping pong ball version of basketball with 5 gal. pails as the goals...), and I need some advice to make a loading system for my ping pong ball gun.
Right now, it is just a 1.5" PVC pipe with a cap pvc welded on, and a 1/4" Nylon tubing threaded into the cap. I JB Welded in a plastic cap that fit into the muzzle, then cut out the flat part so it kept a lip that was on the inside of the muzzle (to make it so it builds up pressure then launches it. But, I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a loading system for it, because the rules are, the controllers can't go into the playing area, only 1 ping pong ball in the barrel at a time, and the robot has to push ping pong balls to the sidelines so you can load it. But I was wondering if I could make aloading system that loads into the muzzle, and can hold like 5 balls, so I don''t have to keep driving the robot back to me....

Any responses would be greatly appreciated, as the competition is on friday of this week...

Thanks

PS. should I put this in the pneumatics showcase with a vid when I'm done?

Mac/pistol man
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:48 pm

You might be able to make a larger version of the loading system on ondskehem's 3D Doomestic Destroyer http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/3d-doom ... t8407.html
Except have a servo pull back the bolt instead of pulling it back yourself.
And yes, I think that you should put it in the pneumatic showcase when you are done.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Mac/pistol man » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:52 am

Thank you sooo much dude! I will try that out today/tonight.
Wish me luck!

Mac/pistol man
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: koolaidman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:39 pm

kinda off topis and unhelpful, but i am working on a 1.5 barreled ping pong ball gun. only i poke a hole in them with a tack and fill em with water/coloring. Works like a large paintball gun, and makes a big SPLAT.

koolaidman
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:55 pm

No offense, koolaidman, but you shouldn't post in topics like this. The only relevant posts were made before the TC had his competition. You posted well after his competition. The Mods don't like when people kick up topics that are irrelevant now. Just remember that for the future.

Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion