Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Would this work for a CO2 setup?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Would this work for a CO2 setup?

Unread postAuthor: PinHead » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:25 pm

First post... woot.

Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of a grenade launcher style cannon for shooting painball grenades, and really want to go with a CO2 setup for ease and portability (and multiple shots, obviously). I know that alot of the guys on here swear by a palmers reg, which is great - they're the best out there, as any paintballer will tell you - but the size and price are a bit out of my league. I was looking for something simpler.

I recently bought another paintball gun that has a reg built into the ASA (air source adapter, where you screw your CO2 tank into) complete with it's own little guage on the side. If I remember, it goes from 0-800 psi, which would be perfect for a pneumatic cannon. Here's an example of one exactly like mine on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASA-Regulator-Paintball-Built-In-Reg-Adjustable_W0QQitemZ330147116241QQihZ014QQcategoryZ87119QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Here's another, much cheaper, but without the guage. But you could easily mount a mini guage somewhere else, where it's easier to see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Autococker-Trilogy-Gun-Bottomline-ASA-Cradle-Reg-outlet_W0QQitemZ170135279685QQihZ007QQcategoryZ87119QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

So the question is, if you were to mount one of these on your cannon somewhere and just plumb it right into your expansion chamber (with the proper hose and fittings, of course), wouldn't this make a nice, clean, compact and safe CO2 setup? I can't think of anything wrong with doing it this way.[/url]

PinHead
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:54 pm

Well it says its a regulator so it will regulate the pressure but can u adjust the pressure down to like 40psi or whatever u want. If you can then sure it would work. You would also need it to adapt to npt threads.

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:10 am

MisterSteve124 wrote:You would also need it to adapt to npt threads.

Not necessarily. You could drill a hole that is a little smaller than the threads, and screw it in. It will tap it's own threads into the plastic. Remove it and teflon it up and tighten it back down and viola. :)

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 am

The second link is for a tippmann regulator. It is a duel purpose regulator, one side has 1/8" pipe threads and is unregulated Co2 (can be plugged with 1/8" pipe plug and a bit of Teflon tape). The second output is the regulated. I have one of these regulators. Unfortunately I never found a air fitting for it so I had to make my own (the threads are 10-32). Basically I drilled a hole through a 3/4" 10-32 screw, tapped a 1/4" plug to 10-32, screwed the plug and regulator together with the drilled 10-32 screw and some Teflon tape, added to 90 degree pipe to the plug, and installed a quick disconnect.

You could also just skip using a regulator and make a cannon using unregulated Co2. 2 metal ball valves with an expansion chamber in between, one fill the chamber and the other fires.

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: NoXi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:56 am

the tippmann one is not a regulator. It is an asa.

NoXi
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: PinHead » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:28 pm

Here's a picture of the PB gun I was talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rex-M2-Mechanical-AutoCocker-style-Paintball-Gun-NEW_W0QQitemZ170135592523QQihZ007QQcategoryZ16048QQcmdZViewItem

Essentially, I'd just unscrew the fitting that goes into the vertical grip, take off the ASA, leave the hose attached to everything, mount the ASA somewhere on the cannon (not sure where, would have to work that out) and screw the end from the vertical adapter right into the expansion chamber.

Like someone mentioned before, I don't know if many of these will go below 100 psi (most I've seen won't go below 300, not good for sch. 40), so that'd be my main concern.

PinHead
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:49 pm

NoXi wrote:the tippmann one is not a regulator. It is an asa.

The Tippmann one is a regulator. It has a duel output, one regulated and one unregulated. The unregulated one can be plugged with an 1/8" galvanized, female pipe plug. This regulator is adjustable between 0-800 psi. I currently run mine at 100psi.

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: PinHead » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:29 pm

Very nice, I assume that means you're using that same one? Did you add a guage with your as well? What kind of gun are you using it on?

PinHead
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 am

PinHead wrote:Very nice, I assume that means you're using that same one? Did you add a guage with your as well? What kind of gun are you using it on?

I have not added the gauge yet. Here is a picture (this picture is just before I added the regulator):

Tippmann 98 Custom with a few mods.

I will be adding a ball valve as well as the gauge later on.

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion