Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Barrel Sealing Piston Cannon

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:47 am

Hi,

Very nice cannon Sir! It looks pretty much like one of mine (not yet completed).

If it is going to blow up, it probably will happen when charging it, not when firing? Anyway, maybe a 5 or 12V solenoid valve would be be a more elegant remote trigger for the sprinkler. I mean, a better solenoid than the one that came with the valve.

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:04 am

I believe your sprinkler valve is on backwards., looks nice though.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:41 am

I have to say that is one hell of a sexy beast. Keep up the great work hope you fix those leaks.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:46 am

Yeah, the sprinkler valve is on backwards, you want it so that the arrows on it are pointing the direction that you want the air to when it is triggered (if that makes sense). But other than that, amazing looking cannon!

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: randompkguy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:38 am

Spud yeti: the piston can be taken out, thats how I took the pictures...

Anyway, yesterday I found a tiny crack in the pilot hole of the sprinkler valve, so I might need to buy a QEV now....also, it leaks where the barrel goes through the coupling, so I have to redo that now too, and lose a foot of barrel :-(

EDIT: LOL, I just noticed that the sprinkler is on wrong....that was only because these pics were taken at 2:00 am today...and I just slapped everything together (I store the barrel, chamber, piston, and sprinkler valve separately)

*Also, I think I might have fixed the bushing leakage by pouring some polyurethane mold rubber (about 2 ounces worth) in the gap behind the coupling (inside the male threaded fitting)...that plus about 2 more ounces of epoxy resin should do the trick...it will also strengthen the non pressure rated dwv threaded male coupling im using to attach the barrel to the cannon, because it will be filled all the way to the top....

And yes I know how stupid I am for not getting pressure rated threaded fittings, but I will be remote firing from inside a car/ behind a board or two in an open field with no people. And also the female threaded adapter is over top of pressure rated pvc, and an epoxy filled male fitting, and those and the two 3" bushings are the only non pressure rated things on the cannon so I should be good cause those bushings have never failed before on previous cannons

randompkguy
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion