Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 3 registered, 1 hidden and 75 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Launch It! Contest on instructables.com

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:38 pm

PCGUY wrote:That is because this is not a SpudFiles specific contest, it is a contest being offered by instructables.com that would interest many of you.

I wasn't implying it was, just making a comparison.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:33 am

MrCrowley wrote:2) Can anyone, of any age, of any country enter?

That's something I'd like to know as well...

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 am

instructables.com wrote:Fine Print:
You can only win one prize per contest, but enter as many projects as you like and cross-post to other contests! Many Launch It! Instructables would also make great entries in the Science Fair.
<b>International entries are great- we're happy to ship our t-shirts abroad. If you're under 18, that's fine too- we'll just need your parents' OK if you win.</b>

Joanna and Mr. C, sounds like you can have at it. Though I must admit, you entering would most likely lower my chances of winning significantly, and that makes me sad. I'll jsut have to try harder. And make it bigger....

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:58 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Entries in the contest need to provide detailed instructions with photos of how to build whatever the device is.

This is the interesting part which makes this nothing like the previous spudfiles contest, as it seems to eliminate the more complex launchers which are practically impossible to detail in a how-to, the winning entry will be something simple using standard parts - it will be a sten, not a thompson.

We've had some pretty complicated entries before. Like this RC steam tank. It's a matter of how much time you have to put into it.

Maybe a more basic model would be appropriate, but either way you can do better than this.

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:05 am

MrCrowley wrote:Hey, Welcome to SF.

Two Questions:

1) If you've already made a video like mine below, can that be entered? I don't have the wooden furniture thing I shot anymore. The only thing is it doesn't show my gun shooting, just shows the golfball going through the wood.

2) Can anyone, of any age, of any country enter?

Thanks, good to be here.

1)That video could be entered if you modified it. If you shot a bit of footage that shows a sign, the gun itself, and you wearing some goggles and then added that to the beginning of the footage, then it could work.

2)Paaiyan found the fine print. International is OK and under 18 is fine with parental consent.

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:20 am

fungus amungus wrote:We've had some pretty complicated entries before. Like this RC steam tank. It's a matter of how much time you have to put into it.

sweet!

Well, less than three weeks isn't much, but I might give it a go :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:53 am

Wow, it's a good thing that tank isn't a launch entry. That would pretty much ruin my chances. That's a sweet little machine, ungodly annoying noise though.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:59 pm

*Cracks knuckles*

This could be good then - so far I don't see much competition for a piston cannon.

frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Contets Page wrote:Ratings Prize: First
The Instructable with the highest rating will receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store, and a custom-engraved Leatherman.
Ratings Prize: Runners-Up
The 5 Instructables with the next-highest rating will each receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store.
Page Views Prize:
The Instructable with the greatest number of pageviews will receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store, and a custom-engraved Leatherman.
Random Prize:
We'll also randomly pick one Instructable to receive a gift certificate for a Instructables Robot t-shirt from the Instructables store, and a custom-engraved Leatherman

Since the competition is already halfway way through, wouldn't all of us here be at a disadvantage for page views? I know that's what counts, as more traffic to your site the better but if it was a proper competition surely it would be judged on stuff like:

Originality
Over-all awesomeness
How creative it is

Etc

Since its quite a broad contest I can see it would be hard to judge.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:51 am

joannaardway wrote:This could be good then - so far I don't see much competition for a piston cannon.

Not necessarily - this isn't a power or range competition.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:59 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Not necessarily - this isn't a power or range competition.

Yes, but a piston cannon definately has an edge over the typical ball valve or spray 'n' pray combustion - it's different, which makes it noticable.
And as it's the great public that votes, then showing them a nice powerful cannon is going to get some interest.

But I'm left thinking - Can I really supply information on how to make something like this on a moral basis?
If little Johnny comes across it and blows a hole through the cat with one because he doesn't understand how it works...

joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:07 am

joannaardway wrote:If little Johnny comes across it and blows a hole through the cat with one because he doesn't understand how it works...

Or because he knows exactly how it works and he's feeling a little vindictive - see, the spreading blame culture in the UK has infiltrated your subconscious! *gasp*

You can find instructions on how to build spudguns easily (though you couldn't tell from all the people who come here asking for plans :roll: ) and the onus of responsibility is on the builder, so my conscience would be at rest.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:27 am

I am going to submit a video for the hell of it, since its halfway through I can really only win the random prize or rating prize, so I made a quick flash animation of my piston valve i'll add to the video, but I won't detail exactly how to make it.

I'm leaving the viewer on a cliff hanger type thing, saying the rest of the how-to is found at spudfiles.com :P

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:29 am

That's not going to cut it. You need a full set of instructions to qualify.

joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:35 am

joannaardway wrote:That's not going to cut it. You need a full set of instructions to qualify.

Really?! Bloody hell, well i'll just tell 'em to grab some pipe stick it together and never take it about 2psi. :P

Hmm, well I guess my piston is only a deodorant can with neoprene bolted to the front. Though my design is a bit confusing so I will just a blue-print of a simple over-under barrel sealer. Lets face it, they are very powerful but you have to know what you're doing to make it work effectively.

Edit: Just looked at some entries, im defiantly not entering now. People are making pneumatics that aren't glued together and use corks to attach a bike pump to the chamber, and people still don't get how to make it.

MrCrowley

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related