Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Launch It! Contest on instructables.com

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:39 am

No, you should still enter Mr C. Just because they're idiots shouldn't keep you from entering.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:01 am

Actually, having looked it over, I'm not sure I can bring myself to impart any of the knowledge I have to such people in the end.

The knowledge is a bit of a risk in my hands, but I have:
- 18 months of spudgun building experience
- A couple of months of research before that (and regularly since)
- 3 years of firearms experience with the Army Cadet Force
- A mind honed for engineering
- Large amounts of DIY expertise
- The IQ to figure it out for myself
- A shed load of common sense.

Who knows what someone who doesn't have those credentials could do with a step-by-step guide to a piston cannon?

I also skipped over the end date on that. Unfortunately, I'll be leaving on my backpacking gap year before then, so even if I did win, I couldn't receive any prizes. Ah well.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:00 pm

MrCrowley wrote:
Since the competition is already halfway way through, wouldn't all of us here be at a disadvantage for page views? I know that's what counts, as more traffic to your site the better but if it was a proper competition surely it would be judged on stuff like:

Originality
Over-all awesomeness
How creative it is

Etc

Since its quite a broad contest I can see it would be hard to judge.

This is one of our speed contests that ultimately got stretched out because of a lot of other contests ending in the next two weekends. Typically, the voting is done by a select group.

As for traffic, the contest ends on the 16th and the results are tabulated from the 20th. Typically, a project gets its big traffic hit in the first couple days it's up. If it gets picked up by other sites like gizmodo it will get a big fat bump.

Check out the list of recent projects and scroll to the bottom. You'll see one on laser-cutting meat that already has over 8,000 hits in the past day where most of the others haven't cracked 1,000. If you don't see it, click the 2nd page, it's hard to miss.

EDIT: That one was picked up by gizmodo and likely other sites who follow gizmodo, thus the traffic.

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:03 pm

See, I'm building something, but it probably won't be done till next weekend, as I'm in college and I work. Will that really be enough time to make sure I get plenty of views?

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:40 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Edit: Just looked at some entries, im defiantly not entering now. People are making pneumatics that aren't glued together and use corks to attach a bike pump to the chamber, and people still don't get how to make it.

Which ones are you looking at? And besides, why do you think I came here to appeal for better-written projects?

Another thing is that even if you guys don't have time to enter this contest, we'll be having other contests in the future that should be well-suited to the building mindset even if not directly to the idea of launching things.

Our favorite holiday, Halloween, is coming up and we're pretty excited about that one.

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 pm

fungus amungus wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:Edit: Just looked at some entries, im defiantly not entering now. People are making pneumatics that aren't glued together and use corks to attach a bike pump to the chamber, and people still don't get how to make it.

Which ones are you looking at? And besides, why do you think I came here to appeal for better-written projects?

Another thing is that even if you guys don't have time to enter this contest, we'll be having other contests in the future that should be well-suited to the building mindset even if not directly to the idea of launching things.

Our favorite holiday, Halloween, is coming up and we're pretty excited about that one.

What kind of contests do you have for halloween?

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:45 pm

paaiyan wrote:What kind of contests do you have for halloween?

I can't talk about any details yet, but we will be having one. Here's the list of winners from last year.

http://www.instructables.com/blog/E2CH7OUWRJEUKIKKXA/

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 pm

If there was say, a punkin chunkin contest, would I be able to enter with the entry for this laungh-it contest, or is that against the rules?

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:50 pm

paaiyan wrote:If there was say, a punkin chunkin contest, would I be able to enter with the entry for this laungh-it contest, or is that against the rules?

The date of publication would likely make it ineligible. Each contest has a range of dates.

Punkin chunkin, eh? Now if that was a jack-o-lantern lit with LEDs flying through the air that would be awesome.

Last edited by fungus amungus on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Oh I see. I could always just fireproof it and give instructions on that...

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:09 pm

Wow, browsing that website reminds me of walking past the special needs classroom at my high school. Such blatant idiocy.

I doubt the majority of the members of Instructables will be capable of appreciating a good cannon entered by someone from Spudfiles.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:26 pm

Special needs, and sh*t for brains are entirely different. I am personally registered "disabled" - and several of my friends have special needs. But none of us are half-wits.
In fact, I don't like the word disabled. Different is fine, but I'm not less able than anyone else - far from it.

I think the members of Instructables would appreciate the power, but the complexity would probably reduce it's favour with them.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Perhaps we're only glimpsing a small part of their community. Mybe we're only seeing the stupid ones, because the smart ones get it, and don't have to post questions...

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: fungus amungus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Complex projects are fine. The most steps I've seen for a project is 45.

The audience at instructables is pretty broad, but most of the comments are done by the younger readers. When the topic is at a higher-level, many people ask more appropriate questions.

Here's a project that won a contest earlier this year.
http://www.instructables.com/id/EBZ3QQVF3HY3SL2/

fungus amungus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:55 pm

Well joanna, you don't have to enter a hybrid. You could build one of those ballistas you seem to be so fond of.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related