Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pipe Tapping Question

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pipe Tapping Question

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:24 pm

For my next project, I was looking at constructing a pneumatic. I have contemplated on several different options and finally decided to go with something similar to The Bergles Cannon.This design is pretty neat but mine will not be mounted. It will be handheld (yes, it is being built for paintball).

The question: I was wanting a 2" chamber with a 3/4" barrel. I was wanting to drill a hole through the 2" coupling / pipe to thread a 3/4" street elbow. Would this be a bad idea to put such a large hole in the chamber?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:41 pm

You want to drill through what coupler now?

If you making this a handheld/fired you don't need the cross system which is used for the mount (Whoohoo less $ spent on fittings).

I assume you are looking at the shortened version of the action. If you are doing this to locate an schrader valve or other hardware I would come out of the 2" tee to a smaller tee (3/4"), one direction to the valve the other to fill and gauges.

williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:59 pm

It will look something like in the pic. I was wanting to keep a low profile with this and that's why I didnt' want to add a 2" tee, then go to the 3/4" elbow.

Attachments
design.jpg
design.jpg (11.22 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:38 pm

So you want to use one of the threaded street tees?

I have had good luck putting schraders and other brass fittings through double walled joints like that, but brass is stronger and can thread itself. I don't know if the PCV would be able to thread iteslf in like that.

You could use galvanized parts but that would increase your cost pretty significantly. Your other choice might be look for 2" tee that has a 1 inch or 3/4" offshoot. I know they make them cause I have used them before. It won't be super lowprofile but will be less so than a 2x2x2 tee. and probably stronger than threading in a tee.

Maybe someone else on here has done somthing like this.

ps. You are using this for paintball, single shot or shotgun loads?

williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:42 pm

I was going to drill the hole with a hole saw, then used a galvanized pipe nipple to cut the threads.

ps. shotgun loads.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:47 pm

EDIT: Oh okay... the elbow was because I'm guessing thats the equivalent to having a street elbow... :-|

Last edited by HaiThar on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:00 pm

HaiThar wrote:I agree with William...just use one of those with an offshoot and then a 45 degree elbow...

Where did the 45 degree elbow come in at? Anyway, threading and / or tapping pipe is no problem. Neither is obtaining a fitting that was described (that was my second option). I just want to know if anyone has ever tapped pipe like this and, if so, what is the outcome?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Another option:

From the front coupler go to 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" bushing and then smaller tee. The barrel will go through the new tee and it will save you more than an inch either way.

It is more fittings and you would need an inch or two of the appropriate pipe (you might have it laying around) but probably sturdier and safer than threading the piece into the chamber like you proposed. I know those sizes of tees also come with smaller offshoots, you can actually probably find one in 1" or 3/4".

BTW what size valve are you using. You will get the best performance out of a 1" sprinkler, and I found today a 1" threaded to 3/4" slip pipe connection you could use on the outboard side of your valve.

Nice integral stock design, you gonna load through the butt of the gun? If so you might wanna shorten that up.

williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:09 pm

Thank you. I don't know why I didn't think of that. The valve will be a piston valve built into a 1" tee (GGDT predicted 260fps @ 70psi). The cannon will be loaded via a magazine fed system and pump action.

Just so that I am clear, you mean like this right:

Attachments
design.jpg
design.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Last edited by Hubb on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: windshrike » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Try building a really small chamber(this is not supposed to be part of you gun!!), tapping it, put in the elbow, and pressure test it to see if the threads are close enough before you risk your entire cannon.

windshrike
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah that is what I was talking about. Sure it uses some extra fittings and pipe but it will get you a nice low profile. So are you going to run 1" around to the rear tee (piston?)? You should be able to get a tee that sizes down to 1 inch.

Are you going to use that rotating clip feed I saw somewhere on here (can't find it right now)? How is your pump action going to work, just sliding the clip forward and back or an actual sliding bolt? I'm interested, cause I have never come up with a good pump clip loader. You have piqued my interest. :P

williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:47 am

No rotating anything. The original design was of a revolver with eight loads. I have opted to go with a magazine fed (mag with five rounds) to get more firepower. Also, I was going to make it into a bullpup configuration (I want a small profile) so the revolver would get in the way.

(Confused? How can I get more shots with a five round magazine then I could with an eight round revolver? I'll have more than one magazine :D )

It is going to be similar to Boltsniper's SCAR-N.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related