Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 54 users online :: 7 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Baldyforks, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Valve modding problem

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Valve modding problem

Unread postAuthor: watto » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Ive modded a holman sprinkler valve, the same as the one in this tutorial http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/modding-the-wrong-type-of-sprinkler-valve-t3821.html

But when I blow into the right end and the pipe tap is covered, air still leaks slowly past the diaphragm. What do you think I should do. the pipe tap is well and truly sealed, and I've left the solenoid on so It cant be that hole, should I put some lube inside it or something?

watto
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: BigJon » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:48 pm

make sure that the diaphram inside is clean or else it won't seal right.

BigJon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:55 pm

here are some problems i can think of.One did you leave that little rod with the spring in the solenoid? if not it will leak.Two are you blowing through the right hole the arrows should be facing the barrel and be pointing away from the chamber or your mouth when testing if not it will leak.And finally did you leave the spring in there mine would not work without it.Hope this helps.

thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: watto » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Yeh the rod and spring are still in and im blowing in the right direction, the diaphragm is new so it's all clean.

Just another thing I noticed, when you are not covering the pipe tap, Is it meant to be hard to blow into? I'm assuming once it's attached to the chamber and has a lot of pressure behind it then then diaphragm will move all the way up, is that right?

watto
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:38 pm

no it shouldnt be to hard to blow into ive never used those valves before so without some pics of the internals and externals im out of ideas.

thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 pm

MY sprinkler does not seal when I blow into it. It just needs more pressure behind it.

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: windshrike » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Dang mopherman, you beat me to it :x .
Watto: If you already know this, just bear with me.
A diaphragm valve uses a piece of rubber(thats the diaphragm) between two areas of pressurized air, and when one area is exhausted, the pressure difference moves he diaphragm, releasing the air in the other area. However, if the pressure is not great enough to push the diaphragm with enough force to seal against the other area of air, then a small amount of air will leak past, hence your problem.

windshrike
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: watto » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:37 pm

you guys are so smart, thanks

watto
Captain
Captain

Return to General Spud Cannon Related