Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, YaCy [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Science fair project

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Science fair project

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:29 pm

Our class in biology is doing science fair projects. We're allowed to experiment whatever we want, and I decided to do something on cannons. Problem is, I don't quite know what to do. :roll:
Right now, I'm thinking on experimenting on C:B ratios on pneumatics or combustions (with combustions it would run on regulated propane, which might also be an independent variable, and the pneumatic would use an unmodified, electric operated sprinkler valve.) But as always, I'm open to suggestions. If possible, I'd like to help the spudfiles community in research and do something productive, but I also want a good grade. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 pm

No way! i am doing the same thing! I dont exactly know what im going to do for it, but also thinking spudgun... check out the thread on it here here

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:No way! i am doing the same thing! I dont exactly know what im going to do for it, but also thinking spudgun... check out the thread on it here here

Imagine that! :D Must be a begining of the school year tradition or something...

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:22 pm

Make a "Model Combustion Engine" like me :D . I got away with it...for a time :lol: . I even got to demonstrate how loud and far it shoots :twisted:

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:56 pm

When I take physics I'm going to see if the teacher will let me do something like that. I think I'll bring in my hybrid. I'll shoot 1x combustion, then pneumatic, then as a hybrid and compare the results. You could do something similar if you work your ass off on this hybrid that you're going to do soon (or possibly), according to your signature.
wait a second, you changed it, never mind.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:31 pm

What the hell does a spudgun have in common with Biology?How many trees you can hit at different distances?Or which potato has better projectile properties...Seriously,how are you going to weave a spudgun into Biology?A C:B ratio doesn't have much to do with plants or animals.

Maybe you could genetically modify a plant that actually shoots potatoes,or grows PVC pipe.

rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:43 pm

rna_duelers wrote:What the hell does a spudgun have in common with Biology?How many trees you can hit at different distances?Or which potato has better projectile properties...Seriously,how are you going to weave a spudgun into Biology?A C:B ratio doesn't have much to do with plants or animals.

I would have though potatoes were an obvious link ;)

A quite interesting project would be "What flies furthest, the chicken or the egg"? :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:08 am

lol! good point rna, but obviously NoN has a really cool science teacher who is more interested that their students learn, than what subject it is, of if it could kill someone...

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Blackett » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:15 am

yup iv'e gotten away with this before in physics but I also had to do the math part like calculating trajectories and making graphs and ratios and the deal where all the laws apply..

anyhow it was cool.

I think what you should go for should be something like: Power contained in household aerosols and use a control

or how rifling affects trajectories or something along those lines.

or sounds pressure levels based on barrel length.

or test safety glass. always fun.

Blackett
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:27 am

The safety glasses idea sounds cool! Our project doesn't have to do with biology, just scientific method, so cannons are okay.
As for a hybrid, I decided that I should probably construct another more advanced combustion first (the only combustion I ever did was the extremely basic one). Also, I kind of ran out of places to shoot any decent sized cannon, so a hybrid seems a bit far fetched. But maybe, the things due in January, so I got time...
The different aerosols sounds good, but it'll be hard to control the amount of aerosols put into the cannon.

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:03 am

or test safety glass. always fun.

Safety glasses are extremely tough targets. From my tests a half gram air rifle pellet at 850 feet per second or a 1 gram pellet at 550 feet per second will destroy the frame from the impact force but won't actually penetrate the lens. My friends tell me that they can resist a close range impact from birdshot from a 12 gauge shotgun.

The only success I've had against safety glasses was using a saboted half inch ball bearing shot from my 3/4" piston cannon - and again, the penetration wasn't an actual hole, the lens simply shattered into 3 pieces.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:29 am

Safety glasses does sound like a good project. Maybe compare real safety glases with cheapo sun glases?

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Blackett » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:00 pm

Ha no i said glass not glasses, but come to think of it this misunderstanding is even better.

Blackett
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Blackett » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Measure gas output volume form nozzle or substitute a nozzle you allready know the output from a new can of said aerosol.

Blackett
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:05 pm

It has to do with the scientific method.... >_>. How many times do you have to learn that....

Anyway, maybe do a piston? You are trying to prove the pressure laws or whatever they are...A physics teacher would enjoy that...

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related