Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

hybrid question... sorta

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
hybrid question... sorta

Unread postAuthor: koolaidman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:23 pm

hey ive got a standard combustion potato gun and also a more compact pneumatic rifle for paintballs, grapes, carrots. I want to make a more powerful pneumatic, comparable to the combustion. My question is whether it would be possible to use the combustion for both. I would use the 4 inch chamber from the combustion and add female/male adaptors to the barrel so it can be taken off. Then could i rig a 1 inch modded sprinkler to another barrel onto a male and have to two barrels interchangable. This way i could get the best of both worlds without making a completely new gun. obviously i am leaving out a lot of details, but it this theoretically possible? or am i an idiot? profanities are welcome.

koolaidman
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:57 pm

You're going to want a steel chamber for a hybrid. I'm guessing you used sch40 pvc for the combustion, but it isn't safe to make hybrid out of pipe that weak

You can easily make a hybrid work pneumatically, as it must be able to use the same principles to function normally.
So yes, replacing the union with a sprinkle valve will work.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: koolaidman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:15 pm

grr... no not a hybrid. sorta a hybrid. my bad. i wouldnt have ignition and pressure at the same time. i just want it to have interchangable barrels so i could easily switch between both.

koolaidman
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:44 pm

then its not a hybrid at all if you dont use both combustion and compressed air at the same time its just a multi purpose gun.

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 pm

thespeedycicada wrote:then its not a hybrid at all if you dont use both combustion and compressed air at the same time its just a multi purpose gun.

Dude, hybrid just means a combination. We just named the combination of a pneumatic and a combustion at the same time a hybrid.

If he has a dual purpose gun, that works as both a pneumatic or a combustion, it could still be classified as a hybrid. Maybe not under our specific terms though.

It's still possible, and I believe we've had people do it before too.

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: koolaidman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:00 pm

dual purpose gun eh? never heard of it, but im glad it can be done. I think i have a good idea of how to do it but is there anything different about these that i am not taking into account? maybe i should post in the hybrid section then...

koolaidman
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:27 pm

Just make a chamber with a way to fill it with air, a way to fuel, and an ignition. To make it simple, make it a burst disk pneumatic.

When you wanna fire it as a combustion, fuel and ignite.

When you wanna fire it as a pneumatic, add air until the disk blows.

koolaidman wrote:dual purpose gun eh? never heard of it <snip>

I kinda just made that term up, because calling them both "hybrids" gets kind of confusing. I liked the term though. :)

-Wiki
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:32 pm

You can use any "Hybrid" as apneumatic- simply pump up the chamber till the burst disc pops.
As for using a Hybrid as a combustion, most have a chamber that would be far too small (it would work but it would have no power).

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:33 pm

Novacastrian wrote:You can use any "Hybrid" as apneumatic- simply pump up the chamber till the burst disc pops.
As for using a Hybrid as a combustion, most have a chamber that would be far too small (it would work but it would have no power).

Not my hybrid. :D :wink:

-Wiki
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:38 pm

what if you did the sprinkler valve/pop off combo.Just use a pop off rated for a lower pressure so when you fire it as a combustion it builds pressure the pop off vents it and actuates the sprinkler valve.When you want to go pneumatic take off the pop off and put on a blowgun.Its not as quick changing as modderxtrodanares idea but it would be cool.I have heard about the sprinkler valve pop off thing for use in a hybrid once but i dont know if it would work here.You should try it if the theory good though.

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Just my two cents, since when did air powered cannons fall under the power of combustions? I think if you made a decent air powered one it would surpass the power of a combustion.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 pm

thespeedycicada wrote:what if you did the sprinkler valve/pop off combo.Just use a pop off rated for a lower pressure so when you fire it as a combustion it builds pressure the pop off vents it and actuates the sprinkler valve.When you want to go pneumatic take off the pop off and put on a blowgun.Its not as quick changing as modderxtrodanares idea but it would be cool.I have heard about the sprinkler valve pop off thing for use in a hybrid once but i dont know if it would work here.You should try it if the theory good though.

Well, you could tap in a female quick connect into the sprinkler, and put a male quick connect on a pop off, and on a blowgun. Alot faster to switch them.

-Wiki
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to General Spud Cannon Related