Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

DWV PVC pipe

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
DWV PVC pipe

Unread postAuthor: TheTrooper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:11 am

I got some DWV pipe but it is also pressure rated up to 330 PSI. Now we all know DWV is bad but as long as it has a PSI rating its safe right? They kinda contradict each other I know this is a pretty nooby question, but i need to know.

TheTrooper
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: hi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:22 am

i have pipe like that too. as long as its pressure rated then yes, its fine to use. the DWV just means that you can use it for DWV too, but i dont recommend taking it to 330 psi no matter what kind of pvc it is. i would say no higher than 150 psi, but thats just me.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: TheTrooper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:24 am

Thank you, i just needed a good answer. Yea i see what you mean cause i have never taken it higher than 120, My valve is a ball valve (yes they suck) and its max is 150

TheTrooper
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:47 am

Then take it up to 150. :)

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:28 pm

If you look closely at the labelling on the pipe (if it is all there) it probably says both NSF-pw and NSF-dwv.

dwv is a lower spec than pw, but since they are both Sch40 they have the same critical dimension. So, if a pipe (or fitting) will work for pw it'll also work for dwv. It is the converse that is not necisarily true.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:09 pm

DWV isn't necessarily bad, it just means that the NSF rates it as Drain Waste Vent. DWV copper is often rated for hundreds of psi.

Any pipe that displays a pressure rating should be safe for use up to that pressure. In practice, however, plastic pipe should not be used up to its rating due to its unfortunate tendency to have microscopic defects and to degrade over time.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related