Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 1 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], grumpyoldman, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Why only combustion?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:12 am

Dry ice bombs are against the rules last I heard and unless you contain dry ice with the water you get no pressure build-up and that chambering could be declared a dry ice bomb.

...which it could very well be with certain materials

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 am

I am open to new safe reactions, but lets not venture to dry ice. Dry ice in a chamber = brittle PVC = dry ice bomb.

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:12 am

PCGUY wrote:I am open to new safe reactions, but lets not venture to dry ice. Dry ice in a chamber = brittle PVC = dry ice bomb.

Yeah, sorry. I did not mean use guns made from pvc, but i'll shut my pie hole :wink:

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mtronic » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:55 am

But if your pie hole is shut how you gonna eat the pie?
MMMMmmm Pie :D

Why bother with chemical reactions in the first place? Unsrcew cap,load, spray and pray. Whats the point in complecating things even more?
Even that gets to be too much hassel nowdays for me, pneumatics are all the rage at my house these days.

Always out numbered....
never out gunned
mtronic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:55 am

I like _Fnord's idea. Maybe a very thin filament network, (ahem steel wool cough), filled with a WEAK oxidizer, (simply to make up for the lack of oxygen when confined), or maybe in a bust-disk container with pressurized air or oxygen to make up for the lack of O<sub>2</sub>, when connected to a capacitor or capacitor bank which dumps an impressive amount of electricity through it. It'd be a difficult reaction to control, but if done right it might be up there in terms of performance with powder weapons.

Obviously, you want some sort of remote ignition and a barrier between you and this potential bomb.

Oh but where are my manners? Let me explain. This is not really a solid propellant. It's sort of a "hybrid" propellant. Gaseous oxidizer, (i.e. low-power oxidizer), and solid filamentous fuel. I think it would be safe for a mature, experienced, and cautious individual to experiment with.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:22 am

Mark: Thanks for reassuring me that my post wasn't invisible :)

I'm not sure what effect adding an oxidizer would have on this type of reaction.

I'm basically just turing metal wire into plasma from heat alone, so I'm not sure if an oxidizer would help or hinder it. You could probably just make a coil of thin resistant wire around a straw for each shot. It would take a large capacitor bank to get any kind of power from it, but it may be possible to make portable device.

Edit: ok, a coil is probably a bad shape to use, since I'm pretty sure it will be less resisitant than a jumble of wire.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:28 pm

mtronic wrote:Why bother with chemical reactions in the first place? Unsrcew cap,load, spray and pray.

that made me lol
what do you think combustion is?

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:50 pm

Vaporizing a wire and using the resulting plasma to propel projectiles isn't a new idea... the technology is termed "electrothermal".

Apparently, it looks promising for achieving very high muzzle velocities.

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: Necrosis » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:50 pm

sandman wrote:
mtronic wrote:Why bother with chemical reactions in the first place? Unsrcew cap,load, spray and pray.

that made me lol
what do you think combustion is?

It is when things go BOOM!

Necrosis
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Vaporizing a wire and using the resulting plasma to propel projectiles isn't a new idea... the technology is termed "electrothermal".

DAMNIT!
I should have known someone already thought of it.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:10 pm

That shouldn't discourage you. What's the worse that could happen? Government investigation as to where you learned some black technology? Pfftt.... "I learnt it awl on m'own sir. I don't need yer fancy stinkin' scientists' 'papers' to build somethin like that." *spits*

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related