Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 33 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Why only combustion?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Why only combustion?

Unread postAuthor: pat123 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:25 pm

I am just curious if any one else has made a cannon using a different type of chemical reaction. I got the idea because my chemistry teacher showed us a video of hydrogen and chlorine mixed in a test tube with a cork in the end and as soon as a bright light was apllied the cork flew out. think this would work for a cannon? I think that was a synthesis reaction. anyone tried this?

Pat

pat123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:12 pm

lol, no because we would die

you do know that chlorine is ungodly toxic, like disassociate the cell membranes in you lungs toxic

and it produces Hydrochloric acid and thats not stuff to be playing with

so do not do this reaction

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Yeah completly agree that is horrible, imagine firing your spud gun a few times doing that and going to blow out your chamber and after about 5 shots you pass out because of the lack of air in your lungs because there is chlorine in there and then dying because you were stupid

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:32 pm

Besides the properties of the reactants and products, and the difficulty of acquiring them, propane-oxygen outperforms the hydrogen-chlorine.

Post-reaction pressures, starting at 1 atm and 300 k, stoichiometric mixtures, per Gaseq:

H2-Cl2: 10.3 atm
C3H8-O2: 18.2 atm

Or for that matter. . .
C3H8-air: 9.3 atm

So your exotic reaction scarcely does better than an ordinary combustion as far as chamber pressure.

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: MikeNice » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Yeah, and . . . nevermind, that about does it.

Your face is going to freeze like that. http://iplaaz.freehostia.com/
MikeNice
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:41 pm

However, on a brighter note, there are lots of various reactions that could potentially be harnessed for propulsion.

I have seen the coke and mentos and the old classic baking soda and vinegar both used to propel model cars and 2 liter rockets. However, they produce very limited amounts of gas for the amount of material required.

Sodium and water makes for one hell of a release of energy but requires time in a sealed environment so it would only work in burst disk or ball valve situations, similar to hybrids.

Basically, there are lots of choices out there, combustion of aeresoled fuel is just cheap and easily contained, not to mention has pretty significant power.

Trying to figure out how to make a SCUBA first stage regulator work for portable charging station. If only that pesky job thing didn't keep eating up all my time...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:28 pm

I've tried dumping a large amount of current through a thin wire, so that it (basically) explodes. I then tried containing this explosion in a barrel to propel a bb outward, but sadly, it didn't move very much.

This could potentially be a new type of propulsion, but an ungodly inefficient one.

<<Edit: I've just earned my first "post whore" star.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: pat123 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:11 pm

I know chlorine is toxic. I didn't mean everyone using chlorine in their cannons i was just wandering if other types of chemical reactions were used. there are thousands of different chemicals you could use that aren't toxic. any way it is not that hard to get chlorine and hydrogen, :twisted:

pat123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:25 pm

A dry ice burst disc cannon would be cool. Use a 500psi burst disc.. BOOOOOM. :P Are there any dry ice cannons on the forum?

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: pat123 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:31 pm

I tried making one with my friend a few years ago. he bought all the parts so I helped him put it together. it was my first cannon so I didn't know anything about them. he bought cell core pvc. we let the glue dry for like 30 minutes, then wedged a potato in the end, unscrewed the cap and put in a coke bottle with dry ice in it into the gun. about 30 seconds later there was a huge boom, a shard of pvc in my leg, and there is a 2 inch deep hole in the wall of my garage.

anyway the only way to do it would be in a steel gun or something i doubt sch 80 pvc would hold it

pat123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: benstern » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 pm

The French sometimes build and use chemical reaction spudguns (patators) and in typical French fashion, it sucks.

benstern
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: pat123 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:35 pm

what type of reaction do they use

pat123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 pm

pat123 wrote:anyway the only way to do it would be in a steel gun or something i doubt sch 80 pvc would hold it

That may not be a good choice. Steel can become relatively very brittle at low temperatures - I don't know if dry ice is cold enough it's below that point, but I wouldn't want to take that gamble.
Some brass mixes might be suitable, but I can't give any solid assurance of that.

I think dry ice cannons are a pretty bad idea. It's an extra safety risk, and storing it would be an absolute [female doggy].
If people want to make a high pressure burst disc cannon, why not use a CO2 tank instead and pipe in the gas that way? It's safer, and the performance would be better as the gas temperature would be higher.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm

well, technically isnt dry ice against the rules as it is a solid (even thought it does sublimate) propellant

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:06 pm

That sounds like an over literal interpretation - my guess is that in this case, solid propellant will refer to materials like gunpowder, and other materials or mixtures that contain their own oxidiser, so can burn in the absence of oxygen.

Or rather, that is the definition I would apply to solid propellant.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related