Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], D_Hall, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

What have I missed?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
What have I missed?

Unread postAuthor: SPG » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:31 pm

I've been out of spudgunning for a year or so, I got sude-tracked by the twin evils of an airsoft AEP and boatbuilding.

I see things have come on a bit, strafers are looking a bit more realistsic and hybrids now have pistons, and FMJ has changed his name (but is still building crazy micros out of epoxy)!!

So what have I missed? Whose guns should I check out and what technolical leaps are worth investigating?

Still got a head full of ideas and got 90% of the ideas for my automatic bb hybrid in place. Will it ever get built? Who knows, I've got an overland trip to China to plan.

EDIT. Quite why Mister Jackssmirkingrevenge, hasn't combined his mini-coaxial cartridge ideas with the piston hybrid I've not worked out yet. But maybe?

Last edited by SPG on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPG
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 pm

the gen 3 hybrid is probaly something to look into i just want it to be built.But i wont for a very long time after my hybrid went a-splode.

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Airsoft AEP! Now that's fun.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:51 pm

A lot has happened here in the past year indeed. Firstly, the hybrid field.

Spudblaster15 developed a new steel hybrid and meter design that really caught on, as well as trying pure oxy-MAPP mixes up to 4x.
_Fnord built 2 piston valved hybrids, and tested mixes up to 11x in a closed steel pipe with no failures.
Killjoy built FEAR, a 55' long hybrid with an 1800 ci chamber and a 2"x50' barrel.

And in combustions, well... not much. I built an oxy-MAPP combustion which worked well until I made it airtight and it blew up in my face. Good thing it was ABS...

In pneumatics:
Clide built the GB semi, an innovative new large bore semi-auto design that won our latest contest
Jack built inumerable semi/fully auto designs, using copious amounts of epoxy.
A few other semi-auto designs that I can't really remember.
I built a 16' long 500 psi burst disk cannon ( you can search "SCTBDC" for the smaller version). Final version is still in progress.

Probably tons more that I can't remember right now.
I'm looking forward to seeing your auto hybrid.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Edit: well, [Someone who is not named] DIY beat me to most of this..

You probably don't know me since I'm fairly new, but anyways...
You've missed some great guns and ideas, but I'm sure after a few days you'll be able to find most of them. Glad to see people have taken notice of the piston hybrid thing :)

People are talking more frequently about semi/full-auto concepts (at least it seems like that to me)

Bigger and more powerfull pneumatics are rumored to be on the way.

Jack's epoxy fetish has only grown over the time you have missed.

You are not the only one with hybrid BBMG plans, and also not the only one who is going to procrastinate about putting them to use.

Ragnarok just made a good video of the HEAL, if you haven't already seen it check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr3aY-c_sbo

Last edited by Fnord on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Bigger and more powerful pneumatics are indeed on the way.
Think handheld BB gun with three times the muzzle energy of an M16 and 3" bore 500 psi burst disk pneumatic.
All I need is some massive bar stock, a few 6" diameter steel discs, and a lot of lathe work, and both of these will become a reality.

On an unrelated note, I'm DYI, not DIY.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:15 pm

DYI wrote:Bigger and more powerful pneumatics are indeed on the way.
Think handheld BB gun with three times the muzzle energy of an M16 and 3" bore 500 psi burst disk pneumatic.
All I need is some massive bar stock, a few 6" diameter steel discs, and a lot of lathe work, and both of these will become a reality.

On an unrelated note, I'm DYI, not DIY.
well i'm making an airsoft sniper that will be more powerful than air rifles in the uk which will only use 250psi.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SPG » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:24 pm

Good to see the place is still full of wild dreamers with off the wall senses of humour.

Love the hybrids and as always love all of jack's work, the man should have a dedicated section.

Back to the search function for me.

SPG
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:35 pm

If you assumed that the BB gun comment was a joke, or that it won't get built, you are mistaken. I'm picking up most of the parts on Saturday. The key words are 2200 psi and helium.

@ALIHISGREAT: How do you plan on making an airsoft gun more powerful than air rifles? Some air rifles can achieve over 1000 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, and a .43 gram airsoft pellet would have to be going over 8000 fps to achieve that. See the problem here? That is significantly in excess of the speed of sound in hydrogen. The only way I'm going to achieve 4000 ft/lbs is by using .95" ball bearings weighing 56 grams.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SPG » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:43 pm

No, I never assume things are jokes when people say they're off to build something. I sometimes assume it might take them longer to build it than they say it will, and I frequently assume that when I post an idea I will either:
a) not build it anyway
b) find it's been built already
c) realise I couldn't build it without a huge milling machine and many many of your finest dollars
d) hope someone else builds it because it's better they guild it than it sits in my head.

Not found the metering system yet, am off to search again. Whatever happened to the idea of premixed metering for hybrids? Did it go down in flames?

SPG
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:53 pm

i wasn't taking it as a joke, and i was refering to most air rifles in the uk which are limited to 12ft/lbs. Also your helium gun sounds very interesting, what kind of valve will you use? i am assuming a spring loaded ball valve?

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:25 pm

i am assuming a spring loaded ball valve?

Hell no!
I wouldn't waste all that money on a ball valve gun. I'll be using a barrel sealing piston valve, which, incidentally, is why this won't be done until sometime next year. With it, I should be able to defeat that old piece of plate steel as well as achieving the goal of putting a single airsoft round through 3/4" plywood (3000+fps should do the trick, don't you think? :twisted: )

Well, 12 ft/lbs shouldn't be too hard to achieve with an airsoft rifle. It won't even need to be supersonic to do that. Perfectly achievable with a relatively small design, and with the added benefit of not being illegal.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Zen/// » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:32 pm

A .50 BMG round is capable of up to 3044 ft/s :shock:

3000+fps should do the trick

Zen///
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 pm

With light projectiles, my BB gun will shoot at velocities up to, or in excess of, the speed of sound in helium, which is about 3450 fps. If it weren't for that restriction, I could shoot an airsoft round with a light sabot at over 4000 fps. Nothing compared to a .50BMG because of the weight difference, but a 1" steel ball bearing (weighing 56 grams) at 1500 fps is certainly good enough for me.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: What have I missed?

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:21 am

SPG wrote:and FMJ has changed his name (but is still building crazy micros out of epoxy)!!

Yep, the name changed but the "fetish" (as I've seen it called in this thread - one would think I rub myself with the stuff in the bedroom :roll: :D <sup>*</sup> ) persists, and is spreading somewhat - some other people have built epoxy pistons and are trying out some castings, all my bleating is paying off. You might also have noticed the more concrete establishment of efficiency facism which seeks to stamp out needless dead space and pilot volume, even if at the expense of ergonomics.

Well, 12 ft/lbs shouldn't be too hard to achieve with an airsoft rifle. It won't even need to be supersonic to do that. Perfectly achievable with a relatively small design, and with the added benefit of not being illegal.

With this I managed just under 8 ft/lbs with 0.25 gram BBs. For a 0.43 gram it only has to be travelling at 900 feet per second to achieve 12 ft/lbs

EDIT. Quite why Mister Jackssmirkingrevenge, hasn't combined his mini-coaxial cartridge ideas with the piston hybrid I've not worked out yet. But maybe?

E gads! That was such an obvious idea and I never thought of it :oops: *facepalm* I'll make a few drawings in my free time at work. I had made one 6mm hybrid but it worked so well as a burst disk pneumatic (might have gone supersonic with 0.12 gram BBs, my chrono refuses to confirm it) that I abandoned the combustion aspect - but it looks like it's worth a revisit, thanks for making what should have been an obvious mental leap.

*For the record, I don't :P :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related