Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Another Theory

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Another Theory

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:24 am

Following up from this thread, I figured I could try a hand at improvement. I began to think and thought to myself, "Why does the piston have to piloted by an air source?" Well, it doesn't.

In the below diagram, The piston is connected to a rod, which can be connected to a trigger or whatever. When the rod is pulled, the piston disengages from the barrel. The bolt slides back. Once the piston has slid back enough, the air goes through the inlets on the bolts (as JSR suggested in the earlier thread) and fires the round. The bolt continues to move back, due to it being connected to the piston, and allows another round to fall into place. The stoppers keep the piston from sliding back too far.

When the main piston slides back, it is equipped with o-rings that cut off the air supply to the chamber, not allowing any air to escape, thus pleasing Efficiency. A spring was not drawn on the picture but one could be added to reset the piston / bolt.

Of course, measurements must be taken and all that good stuff and please note that my diagram is not to scale.

Okay, here's the diagram.

Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 581 times
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:55 am

have a look at this one ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:03 am

Sure ofcourse its possible.

But the point is, if you want the piston to open fast AND dont want to get tired from pulling it: Have the piston be pushed by air...

The point is, a very big air pressure is available to push your piston, and why not make advantage of that?

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:28 pm

psycix wrote:Sure ofcourse its possible.

But the point is, if you want the piston to open fast AND dont want to get tired from pulling it: Have the piston be pushed by air...

The point is, a very big air pressure is available to push your piston, and why not make advantage of that?

And all of those things were considered in the design. The piston is equipped with a bolt, which runs into the barrel. To compensate for the slow opening time, the bolt is o-ringed. These o-rings hold back the air until the valve is completely open.

Now, one may think that this may be a long pull. Not necessarily. Using the D/4 Rule (I can now because this eliminated bounce :D ), the trigger pull shouldn't be long at all.

As far as having big air to push the piston. Of course there is. That's why pistons were made in the first place. This was just an idea to stray away from the conventional piston valve for a change.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: octane89 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:41 pm

This design is similar to the cannon` Im finishing up now. The only difference is that mine seals the barrel, and I have not decided where to put the fill valve. I may try to put it like you have shown, to see what result you get becaue I thought you were going for a semi/full auto piston design previously.

octane89
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:59 pm

Well, previously, I was. However, in this design, it appears as if it would fire with every trigger pull without having to manually pump it up, making it a semi-auto type design.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: octane89 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:12 pm

Well I think Im gonna try this design, basically to keep my BFC clean looking...yes I said BFC. It has 400+cubic inches of volume in the chamber.

octane89
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:23 pm

Hmm, if there was a very small size difference in the barrel diameter to the chamber diameter you would barely need to pull at all. Seems very workable to me. I might implement this in my next gun. Do you think it would be fast enough for 8-10 shots per second (on a paintball sized scale)?

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 pm

Hailfire753 wrote:...Do you think it would be fast enough for 8-10 shots per second (on a paintball sized scale)?

It may be possible, but it is probably unlikely with this design.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related