Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

noise inducer

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: bluerussetboy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:18 am

muzzlebrakes

there is plenty of debate on whether or not they make a firearm louder(as in decibels). the more efficient brakes channel exhaust gases rearward, this will provide a forward thrust of the firearm, thus reducing recoil. the redirected gases are what create the perceived increase in noise. depending on where you are standing the noise could be greater or lesser. behind the muzzle would be louder than in front of it.

somethings to keep in mind with muzzlebrakes. the smaller the bore of the rifle the more effective the brake will be. the larger the case/chamber capacity, the higher the muzzle pressure will be and the more effective the brake will work at decreasing felt recoil.

i could see a brake working better on a .75" pneumatic than a standard 1.5" combustion

bluerussetboy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:42 pm

If you want the cannon to be louder in the downrange direction, you could mount a rocket nozzle downstream of the burstdisk.

I don't know enough about nozzles to tell you how big to make it, but I do know that its construction can be as simple as an 11* cone. (I think that's per side, but I'm not sure)

For general loudness, I recommend an afterburner, or at least something like a thrust augmenter.
(ok, that idea is pulled out of my butt... but an after burner would be COOL!)

boilingleadbath

Unread postAuthor: MikeNice » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:20 pm

I LOVE my spud gun loud. It's half of what makes it fun. I say the louder the better. I live in an unincorporated area where people fire shotguns at 6am sunday morning within an earshot. no one calls the cops because the sherrifs dept can't do anything. The louder the better.

Your face is going to freeze like that. http://iplaaz.freehostia.com/
MikeNice
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:06 am

Have you ever seen a Dishka on a paintball guns barrel. Without any porting on the barrel (or plugged porting) the Dishka is a cone shaped device on the end of the barrel that amplifies the sound significantly.

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related