Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

noise inducer

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
noise inducer

Unread postAuthor: hi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:33 pm

it seems like everyone is trying to make there cannons quieter and quieter with all the new suppressors designs and so forth...

i was just wondering if it is possible to make the cannon even louder. i know that i can make the barrel shorter and also us a burst disk (a combination of both is incredibly loud as it is...).

any other ideas?

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Maniac » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:36 pm

are you going for pneumatic loud ness or combustion loudness

Coodude26 wrote:
People who laugh really hard at stuff that pisses you off/you getting hurt, who then say "I'm sorry, I can't stop" but you know they easily could.

Mr.C: That's not as easy as you think. It's like me kicking you in the balls and telling you to stop crying.
Maniac
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Maniac » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:37 pm

i would wide the barrl some how like in a mega phone o crud double post i hate it when i do that.

Coodude26 wrote:
People who laugh really hard at stuff that pisses you off/you getting hurt, who then say "I'm sorry, I can't stop" but you know they easily could.

Mr.C: That's not as easy as you think. It's like me kicking you in the balls and telling you to stop crying.
Maniac
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:40 pm

umm shorten the barrel a ton, use MAPP gas, burst disks, and a tight fitting round.

oh also, just use a burst disk and no ammo, that will be very loud- see SB15 and tylerthetatertosser's vid and the discussion that follows it

Won't be accurate, but will be louder than normal probably

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Would adding a choke to a combustion make any difference?

Edit: Or what about, instead of shortening the barrel, you port the barrel.

Last edited by Hubb on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: knappengineering » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:56 pm

A burst disk with no barrel and no round is incredibly loud, especially if you use high pressures.

Knapp Engineering
www.ewr24.com
knappengineering
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:08 pm

ilovetoblowthingsup wrote:oh also, just use a burst disk and no ammo, that will be very loud- see SB15 and tylerthetatertosser's vid and the discussion that follows it

Or just use a burst disk and no barrel...

The first 2x oxygen/MAPP firing of my hybrid was done in this manner. I was standing 20 feet away, behind a pile of logs, while wearing earplugs.

BAD idea. I'm still not sure if my hearing completely returned.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:11 pm

You could always build one that will go supersonic. I'm sure that'll be loud. :D

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: TheTrooper » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:07 am

Hey hubb, do you have a link to a cannon that does go supersonic? i would like to see a video of that!

TheTrooper
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:16 am

Can the logic behind this be explained?
You deliberately want to make your cannon louder, making it more inefficient, a bigger nuisance to neighbours, and an increased threat of alarmed passers by calling the cops?

Still, do not perform dry fires indoors unless you want the responsibility of resuscitating relatives that weren't expecting the bang. (not gathered from experience, but I think I came dangerously close to proving the point)

Damn, I need to think carefully about this supersonic thing now. I know I shouldn't, but it would be so cool.

EDIT: @TheTrooper: They are few and far between, but some hybrids have managed it. FEAR is the fastest known spudgun at about Mach 2.5
Try searching "Crusader" on the spudtech archives - that's the fastest true combustion, and it apparently went supersonic (likely, but under debate)

I can't actually think of a supersonic pneumatic vid - well, perhaps that should be corrected.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:39 am

Other than the FEAR, I've never seen one. However, JSR made one of his creations reach 1104fps (I believe that's what was displayed on the chrono), which is almost supersonic (around 1129fps). It was pneumatic.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:45 am

You deliberately want to make your cannon louder, making it more inefficient, a bigger nuisance to neighbours, and an increased threat of alarmed passers by calling the cops?

if i wanted that i would just buy a dump truck and run it without the muffler...

i live out of town, the closest house is a mile away. i have tried burst disk and no projectile, i just cant think of anything else.

ps- its my new combustion

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:40 am

oxy-acetylene+balloon=big boom

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:08 am

Hey Hi, love to see that someone loves it loud, if you want it REALLY LOUD use a simple no barrel setup with a fan. I tried this with my all metal combustion to test fuel shots. I used duct tape to seal the end of the chamber- let's say it was loud, if loud is 100db then this would have been producing say 200db. I warned my friend of one firing and still he nearly hit the deck!
It will be a lot harder to produce ear splitting sound outdoors though.
I suggest a hybrid with no barrel, but that not a spudgun, it's a "noise maker".
This would however damage you EAR HOLES, so i really don't see the point.
Unless you a db meter and want to break a record, having said record, why not just listen to loud music? :)

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:45 am

This product is used to make a paintball marker louder. I'm sure it can be modeled to work on a spud gun.

Apparently, it is nothing more than a "suppressor" that does the opposite.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related