Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

valveless marble machinegun

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:40 am

rna_duelers wrote:I've ha d a few ales and I feel like replying at this moment.

I agree wiht jack if there isnt any power to start wiht then why bother...It'll end up on a junk heap..power and power and more power!All man eveyr needs and some food,beer,women etc but mainly power or atleast the false feeling of power.

That has to be a personal best duelers, well done! :D

Attachments
How we do.jpg
How we do.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Last edited by Novacastrian on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:40 am

I've ha d a few ales and I feel like replying at this moment

True to form I see :D

All man eveyr needs and some food,beer,women etc but mainly power or atleast the false feeling of power.

beer and women give the illusion of power (and, in this case, literary prowess :roll: :D ) so I think you can narrow it down to just "power" :)

I love the way that a forum that's essentially about throwing vegetables gets so philosophical :)

edit: going back the the original design, perhaps it's not even worth having a piston - maybe just having a spring loaded pin will be enough to retain the marble for enough time to give a reasonable rate of fire...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:36 pm

Interesting design, and a great animation.

Won't the next round severely choke the air flow into the barrel while the previous round is still in the barrel?

Attachments
choked.gif
choked.gif (15.3 KiB) Viewed 625 times

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Fair comment, and it can't really be helped - maybe a small ramp up to the breech, so that the next round doesn't get to the locking pin unti lthere's enough pressure differential to suck it there?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 pm

I seems to me that the next round would be fired before the pin returns to the ready-to-fire-position....

I think that rounds are going to put a lot of stress on the locking pin - I suppose that the pin piston diameter has to be > than diameter of round.... becasue the force pushing the ammo is transfered the loocking pin (pressing it)...

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:46 pm

You might even be able to use a solenoid instead of the pop off-valve, that way you could adjust the rate of fire very easily, and you wouldn't have to worry about the pop-off staying open, but installing a solenoid would be a bear...

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Antonio » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:14 pm

[quote="jackssmirkingrevenge"] the locking pin quote]

Nice work here! I thought of this before but left it because my bb's have seams on ehm so that wont seal of 100%. But yeah with marbles it could work. Great animation btw. I think that piston needs lots o force to keep the marble from rolling out. 100psi = 689475.7 Pa If a marble with diameter of 1 cm is used the F on the marble is: pressure*area= 54 Newtons. Because the ball is round the force that the piston needs to have is about 76 N (if the piston hits part of the marble that is 45degrees to the barrel. So yeah I am not sure where u are ganna get this energy from. The piston is ganna need to have a diameter at least 1.5* the marble to make it work.

Antonio
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 pm

The pin doesn't have to support the whole force of the marble, just jam it in place, so I don't think it would need *that* much energy.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related