Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I have some spare money...

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
I have some spare money...

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:08 am

So, I'm closing on the end of the Uni semester, surprisingly with a large amount of cash in my bank account.

As I never bought myself a proper present for my birthday last month, I thought I might treat myself a little with a little of the money - obviously nothing too much, but a couple of things won't hurt.

I sort of have a leaning towards a decent shooting chronograph and 2 d.p. top pan balance so I can work out my muzzle energies nicely.
I have a bodged home-made chrony that largely matches GGDT, but accurate numbers would be even better.

I was thinking either the F1 chrony or maybe the higher model, the Alpha. They're a little pricey, but they get consistently good reviews.
The F1 is the way I'm thinking right now, not sure an extra £42 for the pretty simple auto functions on the Alpha is worth it - 10 seconds and a calculator would do that fine.

I'm also planning on getting a cheapish compressor with a homemade after-booster to get the pressures needed for HEAL's upgrades, but that was planned anyway.

Has anyone got a different suggestion?
I'm not building a new launcher yet, I always design really heavily, and I haven't got a complete design that wows me enough right now.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 am

You could opt for a large rod of tungsten! I'd go with the basic chrony and spend the rest on "other things" :)

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:53 am

I can't get tungsten rod easily. But a tungsten APDSFS round would be the bomb if I could make one.

I have a nice heavy chunk of 20mm steel rod to make up for it instead that weighs about 300g, less if I were to sharpen it. Recoil will be insane if I ever fire it.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:43 am

send it to me :D

no seriosuly, get an Alpha chrony. I have one on loan at the moment, expect some results soon :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 am

Well, the Alpha's extra features, aside from the fact it will actually show in m/s, are only really useful if all my ammo weighs the same to within a few percent, which a lot of it won't.

Most of it is just standard spreadsheet or calculator stuff anyway, and that will account for the varying ammo weights as well.

I still want to see how much I'm scaring the sound barrier though...

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:41 am

Dammit I'm all out of 0.12 gram BBs, I really wanted to check how fast they went in my burst disk pneumatic. Fired a couple of shots from my 3/4" pneumatic, I got 210 feet per second for a 28 gram slug at 100 psi, fairly respectable.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: cdheller » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:03 pm

My second chronograph (Oehler Model 35P) has separate,replaceable sky screens (sensors) and main unit.
If I knew what was going to happenImage,,, I would have at least made a "bulletproof shield for the first one.

for what its worth

cdheller
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to General Spud Cannon Related