Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Gussmoore, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

"Laser Gun" sound effect?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
"Laser Gun" sound effect?

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:39 pm

I saw Potatoflinger's potato gun and in the video I notaced that the gun made a strange, "laser gun" like sound when it fires. I posted the vid below for convenience.

A asked on that forum, but no one knew why it made that sound. Whas it because of the spirnkler valve? I don't think that that is the usual "honking" sounds that they can make. Any ideas?

I ask this because I would like to know how to replicate the sound. On full auto... Sweet.

<[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22J2DsuuvZg[/youtube]

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:21 pm

Hmm a few things, maybe something to do with the muzzle break, the camera may have a crap recording device like most do and was there a hole in the ball valve loading mechanism when closed?

That could produce a whistle sound maybe :?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:41 pm

Actually, I figured it out. The noise was a combination of things, there is a hole in the ball valve when it is closed, I did that just to make sure that if I accidentally fired the gun when the ball valve was closing off the barrel, it wouldn't do anything harmful, and the second thing was that I put one of those garden hose rubber sealing rings (not sure exactly what they are called) between the valve and the barrel, to keep paintballs from going into the valve, since the hole in the ring is slightly smaller than a paintball.

Edit: It didn't have anything to do with the camera, because the gun actually makes that noise all the time.
I also have a picture of the garden hose sealing ring (it's the black thing inside the gray fitting)

Attachments
construction_11_s.jpg
construction_11_s.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 285 times
It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:19 am

Thanks potatoflinger, that is exactly what I was looking for. How did you mount that hose ring thing? Epoxied in or just set between the valve and barrel?

Edit: Doubt anyone will respond, but the hose fitting must be the main cause. The hole in the ball valve is similar to muzzle break holes, letting some air out before the end of the barrel. Never seen them make that sound, but that could be because the air has more time to decompress as they are further down the barrel. The fitting is probably vibrating, causing the sound.

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Return to General Spud Cannon Related