Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Alternative use for a pneumatic (don't try this at home)

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Alternative use for a pneumatic (don't try this at home)

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 am

Hi,

I had this clogged washbasin drain in the bathroom. After taking few litres of water, it would fill up from where it was blocked somewhere far down the pipe, and all back to the washbasin.

Today I had time to look at it. I searched through my potato cannon materials shelf to find some pipes, whatever that fit, that would fit down the drain and make an improvised vacuum pump. No luck. Then, my eyes fell on the secret 50 mm DFTV cannon prototype back in the darkest corner of the cupboard.....

Yes. You got the idea. Borrow the pipe from the vacuum cleaner that fit onto the drain, and again would fit inside the 50mm barrel. 25 pump strokes of air in the chamber, no ammo, fill up the drain with water, DFTV cannon on top of the whole thing....

A final check, and then a slow twist on the 1/8" ball valve (it's a DFTV valve, no need for a pilot valve).... BOOOOM! Something flew up in the air and hit my nose hard, then came back down on the washbasin. I was wet all over. No, not exactly wet. The stuff was black. My silhouette was there on the wall behind me, white shadow on black sludge on white wall.

Hmmm it worked. It had put a blast of air and water down the drain, and then shot itself off the barrel. Probably, some air pocket down in the pipes got compressed and then shot everything back to where it came from.

Pros: Well the drain is better now.

Cons: Everything else.

Conclusion: Hmm so absurd things one can do sometimes.

Once I get that cannon clean again I will publish it. It has a problems with cracking valve seats that must be fixed also.

Nice weekend
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:57 am

If I'm not mistaken, there is actually a tool designed to do the same thing, although I'm quite sure it is not that powerful.

You should rename the cannon "Drano" :lol:

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:15 am

i would be wary of putting DWV piping under pressure, personally I would have gone the chemical route nonetheless - still, glad it worked for you :D

How about a big Image sticker on the chamber :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:30 am

Hi,

I walked the chemical route already, and came back .. empty handed. But at least the alkaline had burnt away the smelliest of the stuff - the remaining wasn't really that bad at all.

Good idea with the stickers, but I got some surplus one from airliner use instead. There's a big one with dozens of patent numbers on it. Another explains about a valve. They're pretty cool.

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 am

I absolutely pissed myself lauging when i read this dongfang!!

it reminded me of a mr bean episode... lol

it would hav been hilarious to be a fly on the wall, just not behind you...

:D :D

Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:51 am

Yes there are pneumatic drain clearing plungers...

...but they looks like this :)

Dumping an air cannon blast into the drainage pipes isn't very healthy at all. DWV isn't mean't to take pressure y'know :wink:

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:03 am

I did something similar with one of my cannons. I was ordered to clean my room (which is usually pretty messy) and when I was vacuuming the floor, the vacuum cleaner hose got clogged, so I took the hose outside, duct taped the barrel of one of my pneumatics to one end of the hose, and fired the cannon, and a huge cloud of dust and hair flew out the other end of the hose. I thought it was pretty funny, but apparently my mother didn't. :roll:

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:18 am

potatoflinger wrote:I did something similar with one of my cannons. I was ordered to clean my room (which is usually pretty messy) and when I was vacuuming the floor, the vacuum cleaner hose got clogged, so I took the hose outside, duct taped the barrel of one of my pneumatics to one end of the hose, and fired the cannon, and a huge cloud of dust and hair flew out the other end of the hose. I thought it was pretty funny, but apparently my mother didn't. :roll:

The only thing worse than dust bunnies is hairy flying dust bunnies.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:19 pm

LMFAO!!! that stuff is crazy! omg, i gotta catch my breath... ok that's funny, i don't know what else to say/type so i'll leave it at that :joker:

Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:22 pm

exactly how i felt after reading it!!!

Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:59 pm

That wasn't too bad of an idea dongfang, you just used a little too much pressure :D

Kind of along the lines of "if you can't fix it you just need a bigger hammer".

Looking at the little pump Hotwired posted, I would WAG the maximum pressure it'll produce into a typical U-trap at 5~10 PSIG.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:18 pm

I thought about doing this when my drain was clogged a month or so ago, but my mom wouldn't let me for some reason.

That, and the only air chamber I have is the cold water tank from the BGP. Unless I want to discharge a 4x hybrid blast down the drain...

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:21 pm

_Fnord wrote:That, and the only air chamber I have is the cold water tank from the BGP. Unless I want to discharge a 4x hybrid blast down the drain...

why not just throw a pilot valve on your piston hybrid and run it pneumatically? I have tried this to, because i clogged the drain while mum was out :roll:

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:25 pm

I've used it as a pneumatic before, but the chamber volume is kinda small for drain unclogging. (To small for me, at least:)

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:40 am

Hi,

Yeah it was a pretty funny experience after all. Almost compensates for the cleaning job.

Dumping an air cannon blast into the drainage pipes isn't very healthy at all. DWV isn't mean't to take pressure y'know

Huh? I never heard about that? I have made a supersonic gun out of DWV once; it survived, and so did I?!? (maybe that was a mistake).
OK I know what you mean, but these drain pipes are heavy cast iron ones and the pressure wasn't that high.

I know you can get pumps for the purpose, but do you know how overpriced simple little plastic gadgets can get in Switzerland? It would probably have cost me the eq. of US $ 20 - 30, all that for using it just once or twice...

Unless I want to discharge a 4x hybrid blast down the drain..

LOL!! I can just imagine that! Black blasts shooting up from every drain in the neighborhood. Rats with panic in their faces zipping through the air, some seen coming down over 1/2 mile away .. etc ;)

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Spud Cannon Related