Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Reducing recoil energy

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:17 am

Ok that all sounds good!! But did anyone think of some simple muzzel vents?
Some holes made in the right place can mean a world of difference for recoil. Saved me a fair bit on my launcher.
Two holes drilled on the horrazontal 25ml from the tip of the muzzel. Flering back towards the stock.
Also gets some mean flash patterns at night that look so kewl.

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:27 am

Porting the barrel reduces recoil at the cost of power. It reduces the recoil because there are gasses escaping from the sides, which means less power. Better to make a rearward-projecting muzzle BRAKE like <a href="http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/news/october02/m822.jpg">this</a> one. The gas used for it would be escaping anyway, and it projects them in a rearward direction, further negating recoil.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Bubba05 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:38 am

Once again paaiyan you are correct! I did forget to mention the power loss witch i found to be slight butstill noticable. I also vented my muzzel to get her to run a little quieter. As it was a rather noisy bugger!

Bubba

Bubba05
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:46 am

Yup. You can test it using a paintball gun if you have one. Throw a ported barrel on it, take a few shots normal, and a few with the porting covered by plastic or something. There's a much more noticeable pop with the porting covered, but the power will go up some.

If your cannon is an inline, you could sleeve the chamber loosely in some larger PVC and put a spring in there. Also some power loss, but that's going to happen no matter what you try.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bluerussetboy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:57 pm

Bubba05 wrote:Ok that all sounds good!! But did anyone think of some simple muzzel vents?
Some holes made in the right place can mean a world of difference for recoil. Saved me a fair bit on my launcher.
Two holes drilled on the horrazontal 25ml from the tip of the muzzel. Flering back towards the stock.
Also gets some mean flash patterns at night that look so kewl.

Bubba

handgun magnaporting was/still is used to reduce recoil in handguns. magnaporting usually consists of two or more slots at 35-45 degrees exiting just behind the muzzle. this also helps in the muzzle climb of larger handgun calibers. noticeable decrease in power? probably, but how much?. decrease in felt recoil? definitely.

paaiyan wrote:Porting the barrel reduces recoil at the cost of power. It reduces the recoil because there are gasses escaping from the sides, which means less power. Better to make a rearward-projecting muzzle BRAKE like <a href="http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/news/october02/m822.jpg">this</a> one. The gas used for it would be escaping anyway, and it projects them in a rearward direction, further negating recoil.

not completely true.

if your effective barrel lengths are the same and your effective redirected muzzle blasts are the same the power should remain the same. the difference would be how the brake redirects the muzzle blast. to the side would be inefficient because you're not negating the rearward thrust of the firearm.
the same length barrels are going to have the same pressure right up to where the muzzle brake begins.

bluerussetboy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Since I am feeling too lazy to respond to all of the comments in this thread, I will simply state that when I do get around to building this launcher, I am likely going to construct a muzzle brake, and add a spring loaded mechanism to the stock in an attempt to lessen the recoil impulse against my shoulder.

Thanks for all of the comments.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bluerussetboy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:30 pm

considering your launchers come out looking pretty nice, i look forward to seeing the end result.

bluerussetboy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related