Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

How do I make a breech loader?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
How do I make a breech loader?

Unread postAuthor: idiotfactory » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:30 pm

I've made my share of conventional (shove the ammo down the barrel like a musket) guns, but I am trying to make a breech loader for faster reloading. I don't have any problems with the actual construction of the device, but I need some help understanding the mechanics of it. I can't seem to imagine how this device works without having a horrible air leak. The gun I am designing will have a 1" barrel.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid.
idiotfactory
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: c19o » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:50 pm

You could get a coupling, male adapter, or female adapter, as long as it hooks to your valve and barrel, bore out the end of the fitting a little bit so your barrel slides out easy, and stick on an o-ring on the inside lip of the fitting. A L-shaped groove in the fitting with the o-ring would allow for bolt action and locking in place. Its kinda hard for me to explain but I hope you get it.

c19o
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:52 pm

This picture should help you understand the most basic breech loading system around, the "sleeved breech" or similar.
Have a look <a href="http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x281/Combustation/6mmammo006.jpg">Here</a>

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: c19o » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:05 pm

I made that kind of breech loading on my golfball gun and it slowly chipped my barrel away. :(

c19o
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:46 pm

just get a compression union, it works incredibly well and can be installed in about a minute.

this is my combustion that i made fairly recently and you can see what i did, the barrel just screws on and off. it just a compression union and costs about $3 at any hardware store.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-new- ... 11804.html

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ralphd » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:37 am

Well, you will need to install a bushing with a threaded center at the end of your combustion chamber that is bigger than your intended barrel. I'm not sure which will work for you 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. Then get the correct male adapter for it. Your barrel should just fit inside but will not pass through. Next, sand, file or grind away whatever is stopping your barrel. Remove just enough so that the cement still has something to properly bond to. Slip your barrel through the adapter far enough so you can cut a spud then mark it and glue it in position. Sharpen the end, push it through a spud and screw it into the bushing. Your loaded.

ralphd
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to General Spud Cannon Related