Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Two questions on pressure ratings and paint.

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Two questions on pressure ratings and paint.

Unread postAuthor: hotknife ralphie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:10 am

Good evening all, I have two questions (Yes I had several searches but for some reason I seem unable to get any results, random pages always appear. I apologize if this has been posted thousands of times before)

1. I recently bought some PVC from Bunnings (harware store), some fittings are 'Class 18' whereas some (the chamber) are 'PN 12' are these safe to use in a coaxial pneumatic? If not I shall return them.

2. I was in Supercheap Auto the other day and came across this

http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?it ... page_num=1

It says that "It is suitable for interior and exterior applications on both metal and timber surfaces." But I was also wondering if anybody knew if this would be ok to paint my cannon with? I know it wouldn't be using it as recommended but neither is shooting marbles out of PVC is it? :wink:

Thankyou all in advance.

hotknife ralphie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 am

I don't know about the rating you have posted, but for paint you should use 'fushion'. Made by Krylon, there is probly more makes of plastic paint, but Krylon Fushion seems easy to find.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:33 am

PN12 means it's rated to 12 bar or 175 psi so it should be quite safe for normal compressor pressures.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Spitfire » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:16 am

for paint i always just use normal spray paint without any trouble

Spitfire
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:47 am

I think most people find it easier to use spray paint rather than a brush-on paint for their guns. I don't recall anyone ever posting on how well a brush on paint holds up. Since PVC flexes a fair amount, I would be concerned that the much thicker coat you usually get with a brushed paint might not be able to handle the flexing as well as the much thinner coat from a spray can.

Like others have posted, Krylon Fusion paint is frequently recommended to paint PVC guns. In my experience it is not really necessary. Fusion tends to be a bit pricey.

The most important thing when painting PVC is to thoroughly clean and prep the surface before painting. PVC tends to have a light oil (?) coating from the factory which picks up a lot of crap as it sits in the store. Just take a look at how dirty your hands get after handling the pipe for a while. I've had good luck with cleaning the PVC with a Scotch Brite Green scrubber and liquid dish soap prior to painting with generic (cheap) spray paint. Some people also rough up the surface with fine sand paper, perhaps 200 grit. I think the Scotch Brite pad does just as well as sand paper. After cleaning, the PVC feels and looks different and will take paint pretty well.

This gun was painted about 5 years ago and the paint has held up pretty well.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:48 pm

jrrdw wrote:I don't know about the rating you have posted, but for paint you should use 'fushion'. Made by Krylon, there is probly more makes of plastic paint, but Krylon Fushion seems easy to find.

I'm not totally sure about Aussie, but i've never seen Krylon Fusion here in NZ and haven't heard about Aussies using it.

I usually use normal spray paint, CRC Zinc spraypaint (different colours) or Bumper Spraypaint used for spraying car bumpers.

All work well if you leave them for a few days, then they usually don't scratch.

The class rating is usually letters, like Class A-F. A being the wekeast pipe, F being the strongest.

I have seen this alot, where they mix the Class system and the PN system on the pipe fittings.

In this case it simply means Class 18 BAR, so it's rated to 261PSI.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:13 pm

I have only ever seen Krylon Fusion once in my life and it was $24 a can and it was in an arts supply shop with only metallic colours available.

The pipe will be fine,if it has PN12 on the side it's rated to 12bar and a normal air compressor goes to about 8-9bar.

To find good paint for your Spudgun,go into a paint shop.Ask the guys at the counter and they will tell you a world of good information,I went into a Deluxe paint shop and came out with a special paint designed to stick to PVC,and other hard plastics.Moral of the story,ask a paint profesional they know what they are doing.

rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:04 am

Some spraypaint brands says for use on plastic.
Not just Krylons.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: hotknife ralphie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks very much, I started construction today. It turns out that making a piston that fits and seals well is more trouble than I had imagined, ohwell, thats half the fun.

''Moral of the story,ask a paint profesional they know what they are doing. ''
Makes sense :lol:

Once again thankyou to everyone for their reply

hotknife ralphie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: nivekatoz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:45 am

I would use truck bed liner spray paint that stuff is really strong......

nivekatoz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to General Spud Cannon Related