Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], D_Hall, Google [Bot], mark.f, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

carbide cannon

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
carbide cannon

Unread postAuthor: spudy buddy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:32 pm

i was just wndering if any1 has ever mad a carbide cannon? i first saw it in a book caled backyard ballistics. wikapedia explains how it works.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_Cannon

spudy buddy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Skywalker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:34 pm

It's just a simple combustion gun that uses acetylene gas produced by the reaction of calcium carbide with water. The one described in backyard ballistics is not a good design: it uses parts that can't take much pressure, so you can't put ammo in it, it's just a noisemaker.

Skywalker
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Hey, that was the book that got me into spudding! Their carbide cannon is probably not a very good one to use, it has DWV parts, and the design has some flaws, but I would think that the idea would work if you made a good enough design. A carbide cannon would also have a cool muzzle flash :D

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Carbide is a very bad idea for a spudgun.

The acetlyene (that carbide makes) is much more likely to detonate than are most spudgun fuels. In addition, acetylene at only modest pressures will self-ignite.

Carbide + PVC + ammo in barrel is a good way to hurt yourself.

Carbide is used in noise makers because acetylene has a very wide flammability range in air, 2.5%~80%, so it is easy to get a combustable mixture. In adidtion, carbide is a stable (in the absence of water) solid so it is easy to package, ship and work with.

Carbide is not suitable for a PVC based gun. Heck, it isn't even suitable for a metal gun because of the risk of it setting itself off.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:51 pm

It would be fine to use in a metal gun Jimmy- just not a Hybrid, i believe 15psi is all it takes to self ignite.
I wouldn't be putting it inside Plastic though, unless it had a wall thickness of around 1/2".

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Novacastrian

I disagree. A metal gun may well be able to take the pressure but you still have the problem of the gun firing by itself. Maybe it is just me, but the thought of a gun that fires when it wants to instead of when I want it to sounds unsafe.

When you put the water and carbide in the chamber and close it up it will start to pressurize. If you put in too much carbide there is too great a chance of the gun pressurizing to the point where it auto-ignites. Too much solid carbide wouldn't look like all that much.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:11 pm

That is a fair enough comment. This could be easily overcome either by using loose fitting ammo or a bleed valve though.

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: spudy buddy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:25 pm

in the book it uses a regulated amount cause it fills a tiny hole and the rest is scraped off. well you pretty much fire it right after you put in the carbide and its mounted to a stand not hand held so it should be pointing at a safe direction before you put in the carbide so it firing by itself souldn't be that big of a problem but i guess if somthing unexpected happens like somebody walks infront of the target then it would be bad cause with any other gun you can not pull the triger but with one like this you would have to point the whole gun up to make it safe. i was just curious if any1 had had one thats all i didn't know that it self ignited.

spudy buddy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Spud Cannon Related