Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

School Hard-Tech Assignment.

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:37 am

how about a tennis ball gun to go to a client of an average joe that exercises his dog in the park

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:11 am

About tennis balls!
Why not an automatic tennis ball launcher that launches a tennis ball with a set speed every few seconds for tennis practice.

Just found this pic after googling tennis ball machine:

You should try to make it have automated angle changes and topspin-backspin capability.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:28 am

psycix wrote:About tennis balls!
Why not an automatic tennis ball launcher that launches a tennis ball with a set speed every few seconds for tennis practice.

You should try to make it have automated angle changes and topspin-backspin capability.

sarcastic?

thats kinda what they do...

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm not sure if I could get my hands on 2.5" (65mm) pipe.

dewey-1 wrote:MrC;
It would seem that the best choice in your situation may be some form of Nerf Rocket Launcher. I say this because:

1. The Nerf Pocket Football as an ammo does not appear to the average person as being dangerous.

2. A small portable pneumatic launcher of an overall length of 24" to 36" is also less intimidating. Brightly colored to look more like a toy.

As far practical uses for client/s, make a list and add to it as you think of more.

Home use: Clog remover.

Commercial use: Dog training: Locating and/or retrieving scent ladened football.

Industrial use: Tether line launcher. (Same as Antenna use)

Be sure to put Warning Labels such as: 25 to 50 psi max! The low pressure will also seem less dangerous. Obviously design it for higher pressure but only show it as having only a lower pressure capability.

You have some good ideas, I actually have a dog, so it may be easier to convince my teacher to build a cannon for launching nerf rockets, for my dog to retrieve, then my dad launching antenna's over our house, or under for that matter.

Edit: See comical post below.

Last edited by MrCrowley on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:31 pm

MrCrowley wrote:a cannon for launching nerve rockets

Sounds like some sort of futuristic biological weapon, poor dog! :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:40 pm

Ha! My bad :)

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:43 pm

"Dammit I can't seem to find my ammunition"

"What, you mean you've lost your nerve?" *chuckle*

"Idiot" *whack*

:D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:21 pm

I thought the *breaking up ice* idea was kinda good...

" and this is my pneumatic icebreaker"

** points out the 25 psi max warning**

" and now watch me break up ice.....bergs...."

***KABOOOOOMMM****

Mushroom cloud----fade out---

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Ok Mr Crowley, I got a client for you and it might just impress your teacher it is a company called Power Com from here in Tri Cities that one of my buddies is a foreman for. they do network installations in new construction and they need a new launcher that will launch a skinny rope or wire up and over conduit in the ceiling so that they can pull runs over the top of them. And since you live so far away all you would have to do for them is create the prototype and then send them the designs so that you can keep the prototype and will be able to give them any help by being able to look at yours if they have any trouble with theirs.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 pm

dewey-1 is absolutely right about the psi and warning labels.....

I was thinking of a low speed soft ball tossing device for a handicap person so they can play ball, or mabe a confetti launcher for the local theater?

You said that you are doing this for a school project? I know that in WA we have a no weapons policy at our schools. You may want to talk to the school officials before building a "cannon" for a class project. [/quote]

jr
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Well, if you want to be a bit sneaky, print safety labels in pressure units that no-one has any idea about.

Torr might not be a good choice, because... well, HEAL operates at around 16700 torr. I know it's a high pressure cannon, but 16700 torr sounds a lot more than 300 psi.
Pascals is worse of course, because there are 132 to 1 torr. Kilopascals would be reasonable, but there are still more of those than there are psi. Steer clear of Megapascals, simply because Mega sounds like a lot.

What about "Use under 0.1 ksi"? - that's still 100 psi, but the decimal point makes it seem less.

*This post brought to you by Ragnarok's Mostly Useless Advice Ltd.*

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:46 pm

Great news....

Talked to the teacher today, he is very intrigued and gave it the AOK.
He said I can do it for either the Dog-Fetch idea, of making dogs fetch mini nerfs, or the antenna idea, and the antenna will be hooked onto a nerf.

He wasn't sure of my expertise, but after a few minutes of talking about past projects he said I knew enough for this build to be safe at school, I offered to show him via SpudFiles what I had made, but he said I didn't need too.

I'm more leaning torward the antenna idea, because getting a client would be far easier, and with the dog idea, the NCEA markers at the end of the year may get suspicious and think I made the client up, which gives me a fail.

He asked how I would keep it safe, I said I wouldn't test it at school, but he said it was required for me to pass. So I said i'll stick to under 50psi for testing purposes.

Since I now have my Restricted drivers licence I said i'll drive to school with the project and sneak it in as he said 'The School' may not see fit for me to build such a project in class.

@BigGrib

Thanks I just may take up the offer, obviously I would do it all via email.
I'll just check with my teacher to make sure an email is enough evidence and the markers don't think I made it all up.

How high is the conduit in the ceilings?

It'd be impractical for me to build a a launcher made out of 2" fittings to only launch a nerf 10' of the ground and over conduit.

Something between 15-20' is probably good enough.

Rag, I was thinking of just using Mpa, not necesarrily saying MegaPascles.
Or I could use BAR, 3.5BAR doesn't sound like much.

Thanks so far guys.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 pm

Good stuff, the Dog-Fetch launcher need be nothing more than a simple straightforward pneumatic so you're sorted.

I offered to show him via SpudFiles what I had made, but he said he didn't need too.

I would advise against drawing official attention to your online activities, you never know.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Good stuff, the Dog-Fetch launcher need be nothing more than a simple straightforward pneumatic so you're sorted.

I'm actually building a cannon i've had planned for awhile, Sgort87 is shipping me some fittings and this hard tech assignment, coincides nicely with my design.

I'll build it how I planned, but i'll keep the pressure down.

And i'm still not sure on the Dog-Fetch idea, i'll have to wait till next week to sort everything out, afterall I have until like July, to build and design this thing.

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
I offered to show him via SpudFiles what I had made, but he said he didn't need too.

I would advise against drawing official attention to your online activities, you never know.

I see where you are coming from, and don't worry I wouldn't of directly gone to spudfiles, I have some of my cannons bookmarked on my school account and he wouldn't care what the site is.

He's a cool teacher, he would get in more trouble then me if the police found out or something, so he defintely wont tell anyone inside the school apart from fellow Hard-Tech teachers.

I'll install a 120psi pop-off valve too, and never take it over 50psi at school, and dismantle it while it's stored at school and take the valve assembly home with me.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

MrCrowley wrote:And i'm still not sure on the Dog-Fetch idea

Here's a thought, with a big enough calibre, and small enough dog... :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related