Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Are spudders a cut above the rest?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:58 pm

_Fnord wrote:I put safety as a #1 priority only if death/permanent injury is a real possibility.
If it's something that will "grow back", I usually don't take too many precautions. Safety glasses and earmuffs usually suffice in most of my projects.

I agree to some extent, if you wrap yourself in cottonwool then you'll never get any scars, and to quote a certain anonymous movie:

Narrator: Well, what do you want me to do? You just want me to hit you?
Tyler Durden: C'mon, do me this one favor.
Narrator: Why?
Tyler Durden: Why? I don't know why; I don't know. Never been in a fight. You?
Narrator: No, but that's a good thing.
Tyler Durden: No, it is not. How much can you know about yourself, you've never been in a fight? I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on; hit me before I lose my nerve.
Narrator: This is crazy.
Tyler Durden: So go crazy. Let 'er rip.
Narrator: I don't know about this.
Tyler Durden: I don't either. Who gives a crap? No one's watching. What do you care?
Narrator: Whoa, wait, this is crazy. You want me to hit you?
Tyler Durden: That's right.
Narrator: What, like in the face?
Tyler Durden: Surprise me.
Narrator: This is so freakin stupid...
[Narrator swings, connects against Tyler's head]
Tyler Durden: Motherfucker! You hit me in the ear!
Narrator: Well, Jesus, I'm sorry.
Tyler Durden: Ow, Christ... why the ear, man?
Narrator: Guess I fucked it up...
Tyler Durden: No, that was perfect!

:D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 am

iknowmy3tables wrote:...that but really the kids got more funds then sense, no one belives in the good old DIY masculine American, the kids are too afraid of getting hurt and many are scared of power tools. whats really annoying is to see how they waste resources that I could never afford, and they are protective about the stuff and I can't get any.
what ever happened to the MacGyver version of genius. why are people so afraid of getting hurt for your work, really whoever puts safety as their number 1 priority in their projects isn't devoted enough to the task

Amen Brother!! It's the chickification of the culture. I'm amazed at the increasingly wimpy young men that seem to predomidate these days. Industrial Arts used to be required for all male middle school students...now no shop class even exists in many schools and the males are sent through what is essentially Home Economics class as a replacement. I could get on a real soapbox about this...

I do believe spudders are much more of the DIY sort and thus typically exude real manliness. Have you ever take a well built spudgun out to perform in mixed company....they are chick magnets man! ... and you have immediate cred with the guys.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:56 am

It's the chickification of the culture.

I could think of more eloquent ways of putting it but this is sadly true, we're paying the price for female emancipation. The whole "metrosexual" mentality *really* gets on my nerves, I shudder at the thought of what the increasing "nanny state" mentality will turn the next few generations into.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:50 am

It reminds me of an old saying, "If you don't crash every now and then, you are not trying hard enough".

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 am

Novacastrian wrote:It reminds me of an old saying, "If you don't crash every now and then, you are not trying hard enough".

Ooookay, that was a little out of left field. It is quite poignant however.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:26 am

starman wrote:
Novacastrian wrote:It reminds me of an old saying, "If you don't crash every now and then, you are not trying hard enough".

Ooookay, that was a little out of left field. It is quite poignant however.

Sorry to confuse, it pertained to JSR's post about fight club. I heard the saying from racing "circles" a few times.
Probably not relevant to this thread, unless you think about people that generally try hard *in life* occasionaly crash. Usually with comments from loved ones like "He/She seems like a very rational person", or "He/She would never hurt a fly".

Hows that for left field? :P

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:30 am

How 'bout, <A HREF="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760311/?">'He Was A Quiet Man'</A> :)

But yeah back on topic, my spudding hobby has helped alot in physics at school, so i'm sure it's better than nothing.

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 am

MrCrowley wrote:How 'bout, <A HREF="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760311/?">'He Was A Quiet Man'</A> :)

Interesting premise for a movie...is it any good? I don't recall seeing it's release here in the US.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:59 am

Yeah it is pretty good, deserves more then a 7.4 IMO.

I'm sure most can relate to it in someway or another, but it's a definite watch if you get the chance too.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 pm

its funny that you mention this Jack, because at the beginning of the year at my high school i knew everything in my shop class. even though its not all about pipe, it still defiantly helped me. i can do most of the assignments without looking in the book, while everyone else seems to think its the hardest class in the school. i would say that being a spudder defiantly helps in life. but another thing is that most spudders seem to already have basic knowledge that others dont, even before they start building cannons. its also always fun to proove the guys at the hardware store wrong, especially the ones that think they know what they are doing.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:30 am

I've never really noticed the "metrosexual" thing, but with where I live that isn't a surprise. While I'm the only high school aged spudder around here, DIY is going strong. I know a guy who ruined a gear in his snowmobile, and rebuilt the entire thing in a few hours with an oxy-acetylene torch, some steel bar, and an angle grinder. Things like that are just the norm around here.

I can certainly see it in more urban societies, it's just not something I've encountered personally. Safety is my top priority on any build, but when I get sliced, stabbed, burned, and concussed I don't quit, I just beef up safety some more.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:18 pm

sthorne wrote:
whoever puts safety as their number 1 priority in their projects isn't devoted enough to the task

(not trying to be rude..) Are you stupid or just ignorent?! :bootyshake:

Your getting him wrong, he means when people are extremely overprotective

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:44 pm

frankrede wrote:
sthorne wrote:
whoever puts safety as their number 1 priority in their projects isn't devoted enough to the task

(not trying to be rude..) Are you stupid or just ignorent?! :bootyshake:

Your getting him wrong, he means when people are extremely overprotective

yeah what I mean is some people go absurd with safety and make themselves look like pussies and greatly slow progress, progress should be the number 1 priority and naturally being ridiculously dangerous will get you injured and slow progress so progress should be your priority, let me give an example robotics club requires kids to now wear goggles at all times even when not near a machine, and when using power tools you have to tell an adult supervisor and have training with the tool, and for the miller box saw you have to warn everyone so those pussies can cover their ears

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Looks at the above and decides that the "stupid or ignorant" quesiton has been answered: Both.

D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: STHORNE » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 pm

lol, i figured i would ask anyway...even though i (and everyone else) knew the answer ahead of time :wink:

Forum Rules - follow them or else!
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
STHORNE
Donating Member
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related