Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], csitas, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

pvc fittings in canada?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
pvc fittings in canada?

Unread postAuthor: Pilgor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:12 pm

are there any online shops where I can buy pvc parts (NSF-PW), that ship to Canada?
McMaster does not ship to Canada

I looked and cannot find
Thank you :)

Pilgor
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Step 1: make a friend in the U.S.
Step 2: get him/her to order the parts you need
Step 3: get him/her to send the parts over the border
Step 4: if you want to keep your friend, send them the money you owe
Step 5: 3 months later, receive customs bill in the mail. If you have a preexisting heart condition, it's handy to have a medic nearby when this occurs.

Most industrial suppliers are based in the U.S. You'll either have to deal with the extra cost, or make do with what you have. The entire SCTBDC was made only with parts available in my hometown of 1 500 people, in the middle of BF nowhere. Why do you need PVC anyway? There's usually an ample supply of steel pipe and iron fittings, and some hardware stores can order in fittings up to 6" threaded (expect to pay a bundle for anything above 2" though).

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:37 am

DYI is right. Work with what (safe) materials you have to hand.

If you start adding the costs of international shipping and handling - not to mention Murphy's law (also known as the "oh %*$@, I forgot to order an essential part" effect, which will strike everyone at least once) it's better to be able to get your parts as easily as possible.

It's why metal launchers are pretty common outside the US, because few places have the blessing of easily available PVC pressure pipe.

Also, if I were going to that kind of trouble to buy pipe, I'd prefer to search for pressure rated ABS.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:04 am

Step 1: Open phone directory.
Step 2: Look up "plumbing supplier".
Step 3: Go to said store and buy whatever you need, they can usually order it for you.

-OR-

Step 1: Use Steel/Copper pipe.

-OR-

The thing with ordering from the US and having a buddy ship it.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:21 am

First, as Turbo suggests... the phone book/local yellow pages should be where you check first. Saves a lot of time and expense over driving around.
Secondly, NEVER use UPS coming across the border. I bought a 4 1/2" telescope on ebay then got charged $51.00 for shipping. Ok, that's a fair bit, it's bulky but not heavy, but still not too bad.

THEN the sob's had the gall to charge me ANOTHER $53.00 for"brokerage". Never again! (can you tell it still gets me PO'd?)

Do I need to mention that it took two and a half weeks to get it here? I can get stuff from CHINA in that amount of time.

If you must bring something in from the US, use USPS if you can. I have never been charged "brokerage" by the postal service.

Phone book!

Sorry for venting.

As an alternative, if you have or can arrange to use a credit card...

Phone a store (in canada) that has what you want. (be VERY specific)

If they will prepare items for shipping (many will if you are polite and ask), pay using said credit card. (get package dimensions and approximate shipping weight)

Have them hold it for pick up. Get the name of the person you are talking to and where said pick up should be made. (customer service desk?)
Call the couriers that deliver in your area. (greyhound,DHL, purolator, etc.) Get quotes and arrange to have them pick up your stuff.

Door to door and you never started the car. :)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Secondly, NEVER use UPS coming across the border. I bought a 4 1/2" telescope on ebay then got charged $51.00 for shipping. Ok, that's a fair bit, it's bulky but not heavy, but still not too bad.

THEN the sob's had the gall to charge me ANOTHER $53.00 for"brokerage". Never again! (can you tell it still gets me PO'd?)

You think you got shafted? I bought $90 worth of merchandise from McMaster, that shipped in a 1 cubic foot box, along with a 6' long tube. Combined shipping and customs from McMaster - Georgia - Ontario was $48. Not bad at all. Then, 2 months later, I receive a bill in the mail from customs for $150.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 pm

That sucks big time. What a piss off.

If only it were mandatory for them to tell you.. "Hey by the way...BOHICA!"

But since when is honesty in advertising a reality?

Edited for spelling.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to General Spud Cannon Related