Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

supersonic?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
supersonic?

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:00 pm

supersonic yeah thats right.
there has been many people saying (i go supersonic no) but no one can really say yes for certain if i ask (have you gone to mach1?)

so does anyone KNOW that they have gone supersonic? i pretty much doubt that but have anyone on this forum measured it or know of a web site where it is a video or pic of a supersonic shot on a coronagraph with a home made gun that uses gass or compressed air (or both)?

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:08 pm

This is the closest I've ever got, and i still have to test it with lighter projectiles now that I have a better chrony.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Spanerman went supersonic with his hybrid on a 6x mix if I remember correctly.

What's so special about it when many other people have gone for it.

The ultimate goal would be 1" of hardened steel plate, pierced.

MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Jared Haehnel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:12 pm

I know that many hybird cannons are able to propell an object to mach 1... yby the very nature of the gun it would be relativly easy. Easier to achieve using light projectiles.

You probably would not get supersonic from a regular pnuemtic becuase air doesn't detonate (or expand faster then SOS) but I could be wrong there. You can get real close but I doubt you'd reach it. Perhaps with helium or some other lighter gas...

A normal combustion is out of the question...even using acetelyn which I don't reccomend I doubt you will get there.

If you want proof sorry I can't give you any although. Just pure speculation. I read on Spud Tech about a gun that sent a spud faster then the SOS. That was almost three years ago though.

Jared Haehnel
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Jared Haehnel wrote:You probably would not get supersonic from a regular pnuemtic becuase air doesn't detonate (or expand faster then SOS) but I could be wrong there. You can get real close but I doubt you'd reach it.

The commercially available AirForce Condor goes supersonic with compressed air alone, it's entirely possible.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:33 pm

yeah:)
my chrony was sent today or tomorrow so i think i get it this week.
then i see if my hybrid can do it (i will post a topic with results of my pneumatic and hybrid)

didn't joel do it with the "tornado simulator" ? my chrono btw click the image and that is norwegian:)

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Jared, it is easily possible with a normal combustion, moreso than with a pneumatic really. You just need to build it big enough.

dongfang went supersonic with an atmostpheric combustion, and considering that the gases in a combustion's chamber have an SOS of well over 2000 fps, it isn't really that amazing.

Air can expand as fast as its particles can move, 500 m/s (Mach 1.46) on average. Although formation of shockwaves in non-frictionless bores and valves can be a problem, the Airforce Condor overcomes this by shear brute force, as can any properly built airgun with high flow and high enough pressure.

As far as actual proof, Spudinator has a picture of his chrony reading over 1400 fps from a shot with one of his hybrids. I've never seen a video of a supersonic chrony reading though.

1" hardened steel plate would be an interesting goal, I think Killjoy should try it with FEAR. My new upgrades should be able to get a 150 gram holepunch or similar into the trans-sonic range, but I doubt even that would do it. Maybe the [redacted] project though...

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Jared Haehnel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:49 pm

I stand corrected.... thanks :)

Jared Haehnel
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:05 pm

okei i am going to PM spudinator to get the pic:- P
and then i am going to sit looking out over the roads to look for my chrony (can't wait for it)

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm

Wow jdr that really sucks because you were only 12 fps from Mach 1 (1116 fps approx.)

I really think that this is cool, but im not in a rush to do it. I would like to witness a spudgun go supersonic, which would be interesting.

As soon as i get more money, i should be able to finish my 4 inch piston valve which has been postponed due to weather, but today is a really nice day outside so im going to shoot my coaxial piston. :D

Just love spring :)

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:09 pm

DYI wrote:Air can expand as fast as its particles can move, 500 m/s (Mach 1.46) on average. Although formation of shockwaves in non-frictionless bores and valves can be a problem, the Airforce Condor overcomes this by shear brute force, as can any properly built airgun with high flow and high enough pressure.

I've been thinking about it, and I reckon if I ever get my arse in gear and get more pressure in HEAL, supersonic wouldn't be impossible. Firstly, it's got an incredibly powerful valve and should have lots of pressure.

...not to mention the mods I've just finished on the barrel and valve interior - the bore is now as close to frictionless as is possible - the inside has been polished to a mirror shine, and I finished applying a Teflon lubricant to the inside of the bore earlier. If that's not near frictionless, I don't know what is.

30-35 bar, high flow valve, nearly frictionless barrel and valve... it could work.
Of course, with an evacuated bore it would be easy, but that seems a bit like cheating.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:17 pm

if HEAL goes supersonic let us know...

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: tomthebomb137 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:59 pm

I was thinking about a supersonic pnuematic, it was a dual piston valve piloted with sprinklers and it also had a massive chamber, and a very long barrel, im not sureif it would accually do it, but theres always a chance :D

"Once the pin is pulled, Mr. grenade is no longer our friend"

"Always keep in mind your weapon was made by the lowest bidder"

-US Infantry General

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obiously never encountered automatic weapons"

-General Dounglas McArthur
tomthebomb137
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 pm

go on with the gun and show us :)

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:50 pm

spudfarm wrote:if HEAL goes supersonic let us know...

Of course I will. Might take a while to sort though, I've got so many things I want to do, and so little time - I keep losing track of things.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related