Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

acetylene

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
acetylene

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:54 pm

I have an idea.... if I inject some acetylene behind the projectile and fire the gun (pneumatic spudgun) would acetlyene ignite? you know becasue of pressure and/or temperature increase ?
would it improve performance by increasing the speed of gases behind the projectile?

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Either that or send shrapnel into your soft, supple flesh.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:02 pm

If you would use a strong steel chamber and barrel, yes it would probaly work.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:03 pm

short answer no. long answer no because acetylene will spontaneously ignite over 15 psi and it would just be dangerous to try and do something like that

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 pm

lol not everyone is using PVC you know.... I use steel all the time.... @ biggrib -> I am thinking about injecting it directly behind the projejtile, into the deadspace... so it's not going to be under pressure before firing the gun

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:24 pm

My thoughts are that the mixing of air with Acetylene may dilute it too much, leading to nothing happening at all, to the Acetylene going off with a nice pop and adding much wanted velocity.

The dangers of such a setup include a leak from the chamber (pressurizing the acet too early, going off before you want it too) this could be negated with the use of a reliable burst disc.

The barrel exploding (not really a worry for yourself Mr Metal man!)

The danger of working with Acetylene in the first place.

I think you should design and build such a cannon if you want to, hell isn't the recent 28.8KJ electrothermal gun posted recently just a *little* bit more risky than this idea?

Edit:Grammar

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:33 pm

I am thining about this for some time... (since I've realised that pneumatic cannons have certain limitations and since I've seen that spring powered acetylene injected airgun on youtube)
I don't really know if or when I am going to test it... it is just an idea and I wanted to share it with you
I see it as a way to combine the power of hybrids (or at least as a way to give more power to pneumatic guns) with simplicity and rate of fire of pneumatic guns

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Here's a quick paint sketch. With a big enough lathe and some skills, it should work. The piston tube is aluminum, so that you can move the steel piston back into place with a powerful magnet. You could put the oxy/acetylene valve at the front, but then it would have to survive detonations. In this design, the only part being subjected to repeated detonations is the tube and the disk holder.

This isn't exactly simple, but your idea as it stands either won't work, or will be rather feeble (by my standards at least :roll: )

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Nice quick diagram DYI, it looks like a pneumatic on Steroids.
I too thought that a piston would have to be used but my design (in my head) was a little different.

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 pm

nice diagram... yeah DYI this thing is defienatelly going to work... I wonder if it would work without piston or without rupture disk (i think it is not really needed - an o-ring or something would be enough to stop the projectile from moving down the barrel before acetylene would ignite) becasue what you proposed is acctualy a pneumatic acctuated this ---> http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGRKYcsTImo

when build according to your diagram it would have all the disadvantages of hybride (low rate of fire since the burst disk have to be replaced after each shot & the fact that there has to be proper air&fuel mix before firing)

I have little knowledge to tell whether it would work with acetylene being injected between a firng valve and the projectile and fired with a regular pneumatic spudgun... would acetylene ignite just becasue of pressure and as soon as the air/fuel mix would get right?

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to General Spud Cannon Related