Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 5 registered, 1 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

SF Bay Area Spud Gunning Locations

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
SF Bay Area Spud Gunning Locations

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 pm

With the arrival of my new 3" piston cannon, I have overpowered the area I have to shoot and need a new place, and I am wondering if anyone here knows of an area where I can shoot my gun and not get into trouble in the San Francisco Bay area. I have tried google earth, but that has not helped me very much, because I would rather not get caught on someone's property with a potentially lethal weapon. I have a feeling if I went to a driving range I might have an unfortunate meeting with the SWAT team (bay area people can be like that). Thanks.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Umm... How did you overpower your shooting area? Sounds like you're just not being creative enough with backstops. 55 gallon drums full of sand or concrete can stop most .50 AP rounds, even more if you layer steel, aluminum, and/or concrete behind and in front of them.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:56 pm

I am going for distance, I could start into destruction and whatnot but I would like to be able to let 'er rip and see how far it goes. What I meant by overpowered is that I was at the risk of hitting houses and/or enraged homeowners.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 pm

So what do you plan on firing for range? You must not have anything very powerful. Range shooting is pointless with more powerful launchers, because if something's going fast enough to get any decent range, it will, in most cases, be impossible to track.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Yeah, I guess that is true, I have been limiting my cannon to 40 psi, so the range is not extreme. If no one else turns up with a location, I have been thinking about launching a golfball into a lagoon and seeing the splash for a (rough) measurement of how far it goes. The link for my gun is here:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-3-pi ... 13361.html
On an unrelated note, how do I post a link without copying the whole thing?

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:23 pm

hmm, your area is mostly buildings and houses huh? no open fields? i know there are alot of open fields out side of sf on the way there.

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:50 pm

Yeah, I don't live in SF, I live in the surrounding area. Pretty much just houses around me, cranky neighbors and all. I do know of a place where there are (kind of) open fields, but I do not know who owns them and whether or not they like spud guns.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Put it on a boat. ;)

D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Hmmm... sadly, I don't have a boat. Swimming is also out of the question.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:27 am

lucky i dont have this problem. i would have to buy a military surplus howitzer before people started complaining. im not exaggerating either. :lol:

edit- surly you could climb to the top of the golden gate bridge and shoot into the open bay, but make sure yo dont hit any boats.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:54 am

:lol: that would make the news, although maybe for the wrong reasons. Funny thing, my mother gave mea military surplus howitzer for christmas, and I was wondering if I could bring it over for a few shots. You're a lucky guy. I think I will settle for shooting into water/destroying things, although I am keeping my options open.

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: watto » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:15 am

Lately Ive been shooting spuds with parachutes on them from my back yard so the potato doesnt kill some kid, or break something, this way I dont have to risk getting caught with it down at the local park or in the boot of my car if I get pulled over. Maybe you could do this if you cant find a decent park.

They dont fly nearly as far but watching them float slowly down by parachute is surprisingly satisfying and a lot less nerv racking than wondering whether its smashed into someones car or head...Ive done It like 4 times and only found the spud once, but after one shot the parachute is stuffed anyway, my pneumatic somehow puts like 50 little holes over the whole chute. Im thinkin of making a big one out of fabric which might work better but I wouldnt wanna lose it. If you do this then remember to put a hole in the middle of the chute it keeps it stable.

watto
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:32 pm

That does sound cool, but don't people wonder why they have spuds with parachutes in their yard? I think I might try that sometime, it does sound very cool, although maybe not with a tater. What happens if the parachute doesn't open?

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: watto » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 am

kablooie wrote:That does sound cool, but don't people wonder why they have spuds with parachutes in their yard?

I imagine they would... I can see 1 of them still on some guys roof :lol:

kablooie wrote: I think I might try that sometime, it does sound very cool, although maybe not with a tater.

To do It with a potato you tie the strings to a toothpick and stick it right into it, a golfball would probably be the best

kablooie wrote:What happens if the parachute doesn't open?

Then you've got a lawsuit on your hands... :lol:

I dunno usually it either opens, gets torn off or the strings get tangled, it's all about how you fold the chute. Right now I'm working on a sabot that should increase range and the success rate

watto
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:56 am

kablooie wrote:Yeah, I guess that is true, I have been limiting my cannon to 40 psi, so the range is not extreme. If no one else turns up with a location, I have been thinking about launching a golfball into a lagoon and seeing the splash for a (rough) measurement of how far it goes. The link for my gun is here:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-3-pi ... 13361.html
On an unrelated note, how do I post a link without copying the whole thing?

like this :

(url=http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-3-piston-2-porting-gb-cannon-t13361.html)GB cannon(/url)

just replace round brackets with square ones

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related