Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 46 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Funding

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: Blitz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:00 pm

And like I said, not a bad thing! Mine's rather low so I haven't built anything worth posting. That'll change soon now that I've gotten a promotion that allows me to work less for more money. Go capitalism!
  • 0

User avatar
Blitz
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:48 am
Location: West Chicago, IL
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:43 pm

MaxuS wrote:No, you seem to have missed the point, again.

I don't think you realise that I'm saying spudding costs more when you are outside the US, due to the fact that your economy is completely collapsing.


The point you are attempting to convey in this post is entirely different from the one you attempted to tell me in your last post. Telling someone that they missed the original point, then changing your explanation of the "point" such that it completely alters it in the next paragraph comes across as more unintelligent than your original post.

And for the last time, I don't live in the United States!

MaxuS wrote:If you managed to build a launcher for $100, good for you. The shipping for importing from the US would cost $80, then there's the customs tax you have to pay.


$80? What kind of courier are you using that would rip you off so substantially? A USPS Priority mail international flat rate box will cost you less than half of that. Although you wouldn't be able to ship large lengths of pipe in such a box, I'm sure you can handle the extra $10-20 you will pay at a hardware store overseas. Or, you could likely find it for free if you are creative enough. This was one of my original points, if you had bothered to do more than skim over my writings.

MaxuS wrote:By the end of all this, if I sourced my parts from the same places that you do, it would esily cost $200, not $100.


No. I am not in the United States, and given the price range of commercial suppliers in my area, I could potentially pay similar prices to what you pay for a launcher. Double or more than what Americans would pay given the same circumstances. But I don't, because as DYI said, you can get parts for cheap or free if you know the right people and sources.

MaxuS wrote:Now, I understand that you say spudding doesn't have to be expensive. But it's quite difficult sourcing parts to make an awesome cannon when all of these parts cost a crap load more outside the US. Now yes, I could scavange parts, but why would I want to make a ghetto-P.O.S when I could be building something awesome.


I've seen plenty of excellent cannons constructed for relatively low prices by people outside the United States.

MaxuS wrote:For example: I recently started building a 140mm combustion cannon (just under 5"), 1m of 140mm alone cost $50. If I were to carry on with this project, to be in the sme league as the launchers that americans can build, I would have to shell out a further $200, or $300 for all the components. Due to that fact, I gave it up.

Spudding doesn't have to be expensive, no. But it's going to be if you're going to make large bore, high powered launchers. Let's face it, that's the main type of cannon you get on here.


Look at DYI's post. He doesn't live in the USA, yet he has managed to build an entire large steel hybrid chamber with a barrel for less than $70. Spudding doesn't have to be expensive no matter where you reside. If you truly want to build a launcher, it is MUCH easier to scavenge parts for such a device than it is for almost all other hobbies, and with a bit of effort, you will be able to achieve success.

MaxuS wrote:I'd prefer it if you didn't question my mental state, it's quite insulting and I'm sure that wasn't your intention.


I judge people based on what they portray of themselves. If you don't want your cognitive function questioned, then take the time to read my post, understand my point, and respond accordingly.
  • 0

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
User avatar
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Canada
Country: Poland (pl)
Reputation: 3

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:17 pm

DYI wrote:Spudblaster's got it right: you can do a lot for very little if you know where to look.

Case in point: my prototype hybrid.
-12" of 4" SCH 40 steel pipe - free from my school
-60 pounds of 1.75" normalized steel plate - free from my school
-2" steel pipe nipple - $3 from surplus at a hardware store
-2" steel union - $8 from same surplus
-welding and tapped threads on all of this - $20, because i told the welder that i'd send him the videos of it firing
-capacitor based ignition system - free from disposable camera and friend with relay and ignition coil
-current barrel for 5x and under - leftover from a previous project
-meter - $130 (but could have been done conventionally for under $30)

Total cost for a 150ci, 10x hybrid, without the fancy meter: less than $70

Its only expensive for me because I make it expensive.

You also have to remember all those free items are reflected by the price of them originally.

i.e. That 4" pipe is cheaper in Canada then here, therefore you are more likely to find it being given away for free.

That's like saying you found some 2" pipe in America for free, it only costs a few dollars so I wouldn't be surprised to see it get chucked. Here it costs about $17USD a meter.

Little bit exaggerated but you get my point.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 pm

The reason that the plate and pipe were free was that the school shop got them as leftovers from the welder, then realised that they didn't have any tools that could do anything to them :roll:
  • 0

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
User avatar
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:18 pm
Location: The People's Republic of Canuckistan
Country: Turks and Caicos Islands (tc)
Reputation: 9

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Ah well you see in NZ, you're not allowed to weld until University. Even as a senior we're not supposed to use metal in shop, even though we have a bunch of arc and oxy/acetylene welders.

Horrible isn't it? :(
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:13 pm

It's like teasing.

We started welding (basic welding, but still welding) when we had just started secondary school. It differs alot throughout the world.
  • 0

Badman
User avatar
MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:59 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Spuddin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 pm

i didnt read the entire thread so this may have been posted already but one way to make money is in scrap metal, walking down the road picking up cans is a good start, i've done this many times. the aluminum prices round here is about 50 cents per pound, copper and brass much higher. even car battery's are going for about 4 bucks a piece.
_______________________
http://www.freewebs.com/spuddin

repeat after me: i am sofa king we todd did.
  • 0

User avatar
Spuddin
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'