Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 33 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

solenoid valve question...

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
solenoid valve question...

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:17 am

Anyone know if it's possible to run unregulated c02 through a valve like this one?? :

http://www.flowfactor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FF&Product_Code=71216SN1GL00N0C111C1&Category_Code=PV2

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 am

It's rated to 1250 psi, that gives you a safety factor of around 500 psi at normal temperatures so you'd be quite safe.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 am

I know the PSI rating looks good but I wasn't sure if it will freeze or be too slow.
What I am interested in is using this one or similar for automatically refilling the air chamber?,

Also I want to incorporate one of my valve initiator electric switches.
(a thunderswitch):

Kind of a modified time bomb switch that uses the face of a pressure gauge to close a switch so the valve will open to fill the air reservoir and open switch again once it's full.

Thanks for replying JSR Please tell me what you think about that :?:

edit:(the arm of the gauge has a thin wire soldered on that rubs against the other lead, a copper plate glued to the face of the gauge)

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:22 am

Buna-N seals are good for -40ºC, but I would expect freezing issues if the flow was too high. Might be a good idea to ask the manufacturers as it's quite an expense to make for something that might not work.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:39 am

Thankyou very much for the advice. It's great to have intelligent people with the same interest on here.
BTW the pressure seems high right.
For safety reasons I was thinking maybe use a muzzle loader shotgun barrel for the air reservoir and a rifled large bore muzzle loader barrel. (still an option for Americans)
And have everything professionally welded.And C02 tank for filling. That's why the high pressure.
Please let me know about the chamber to barrel type volume I described.
the shotgun barrel would be 20 gauge diameter and the barrel .50 or .54?

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:48 am

So you're intending this valve as an automatic way to fill your chamber? What were you planning as a firing valve?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:12 am

If one exists, an electrically triggered solenoid valve that opens fast enough would be my first choice.
Second choice would be a piston,triggered by another solenoid the same as the refill. So everything could be timed electronically.

At that pressure I imagine the sealing face would be softer metal like copper.

I have really just begun to look into solenoid valves looking for the potential of the "thunderswitch" :lol: lol

I had about a year experience in the HVAC field when I day dreamed it up and I used to get distracted by designs at work all the time lol !!!

I also would like to maybe use an auto refill for a large spud cannon design is why I am interested revolver concept as well.

Edit:please if you have advice on that, it's more like your design, just incorporating one component I'd like to apply. Thanks JSR, and others advice welcome!!!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:35 am

THUNDERLORD wrote:If one exists, an electrically triggered solenoid valve that opens fast enough would be my first choice.
Second choice would be a piston,triggered by another solenoid the same as the refill. So everything could be timed electronically.

At that pressure I imagine the sealing face would be softer metal like copper.

Given a large enough valve - I would suggest bigger than the barrel, for example a 1 inch valve for a half inch barrel - an electronically triggered solenoid would do for a firing valve.

A rubber sealing face would do as long as the rubber was up to the task and the seat spread out the load over a wider area.

I also would like to maybe use an auto refill for a large spud cannon design is why I am interested revolver concept as well.

Edit:please if you have advice on that, it's more like your design, just incorporating one component I'd like to apply. Thanks JSR, and others advice welcome

I would advise against a revolver mechansim, as it would be too complex to make and you'd be limited in number of rounds.

With the blow forward valve (as Clide used with his GB semi, and I used here and here - different configurations, but it's the same concept), as long as you're pulsing the air (I'm assuming firing valve closed - fill valve open the firing valve open - fill valve closed as an electronic sequence) you can have full or semi autopmatic fire. Using spherical projectiles such as lead balls you can feed from a hopper (in the same way paintball guns do) and potentially have it big enough to fire as long as your tank is emptied, without having to reload.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 am

[quote="jackssmirkingrevenge"]With the blow forward valve (as Clide used with his GB semi, and I used here and here - different configurations, but it's the same concept), as long as you're pulsing the air (I'm assuming firing valve closed - fill valve open the firing valve open - fill valve closed as an electronic sequence) you can have full or semi autopmatic fire. quote]

Wow!!! You are a genious JSR, seriously, I saw that first video on youtube so I didn't notice it was your's. that design was genius. I watched that one enough times to program it into my mind. that one was my favorite design since before I had an acct. here. Man, spudfiles is cool!!!

Wow, also you just gave me a ton of advice I will need to reference from!!!

As far as the revolver concept, I was thinking of auto-refill of an extremely large bore(atleast 3" with only four chambers) . I was thinking about the weight issue after you replied and that a magazine system which discards the cartridges would do better there and for reloading which you mentioned.

Thankyou for the piston advice also.
BTW I was typing this reply and I somehow lost it so my first reponse was far more enthusiastic/with more info.

I got to go for now but I will try to post some pictures with an example of my "thunderswitch"
Not sure if I should post it here or in my original post called " valve initiator"?

As far as designing may sound funny, I like to use Bruce Lee's philosophy of :
Speed , Accuracy, and Strength
It's a combination of the three or maybe two but all of just one is just not any good.
If you apply the three it's like maybe rate of fire, range/strength and accuracy. That philosophy can define most arms.
Thankyou

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:32 am

Thanks for the compliments, but I can't take all the credit, most of the ideas I use are either taken or developed from this forum. It's really more a question of being able to work with materials.

As to your idea, I would envisage something like the diagram below to be perfectly feasible as far as functionality is concerned. The question is being able to afford and put together the right components, it will take someone with a bit of electrical knowledge to develop the firing circuit for example - but with the right resources, I'm sure it can be done.

Attachments
co2auto.gif
co2auto.gif (6.25 KiB) Viewed 352 times
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to General Spud Cannon Related