Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Crank Spring Piston Gatling

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Crank Spring Piston Gatling

Unread postAuthor: goose_man » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:43 pm

Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a while, but I have what I consider to be an awesome idea for a fully auto gun powered only by cranking.

Picture how an ordinary gatling gun pulls back the firing pin with a helical track that engages a rod and pulls it back as the gun spins, until the helical track ends and the spring is free to push the rod forward. If you don't know how that mechanism works, check out http://www.howstuffworks.com's article on gatling guns. In my design, the rod that is pulled back would not connect to the firing pin, but instead to an o-ringed piston/plunger in a cylinder. Whereas the firing pin would be released ordinarily, instead we are releasing the piston/plunger in a cylinder. Just like how a spring-piston airgun would, the compressed gas (from the piston/plunger being released and sprung forward) would shoot the projectile out the barrel. The fact that there is spining barrels makes the loading system for projectiles the same as a gatling gun loads cartridges.

If we wanted we could even have an electric motor spinning the gun, to eliminate the crank.

So, what do all ya'll think?

-goose_man

goose_man
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 pm

It would be awesome ofcourse.
Youll just need to do the hard part, build this complicatedness!

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:18 pm

Something like this but incorporating pistons as opposed to ammunition directly fired by the springs?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: goose_man » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Yep, just like that. Also, if engineered properly, one chamber and barrel would work too: the helical track spins and a fixed cam on the rod is pulled back by it.

goose_man
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:41 pm

I think if it was spun electrically, maybe one of the best available electric motor configurations would be an electric boat motor.

They work on 12vdc, are water proof designed to be quiet as possible and have lots of torque, so gears can be added to run at higher rpm if necessary. Can't think of a better motor for that application.
Gatling guns are cool 8)

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related