Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 84 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 80 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ideas wanted!!!

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
ideas wanted!!!

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:18 am

so my neighbor is a fire fighter and he is impressed with my spud guns that I have built so far. He has told me that he will have no problem getting me a fire extinguisher canister for no charge. now comes the most important question...

If you got one, what would you do with a fire extinguisher can?

and also, what should I be aware of as far as fittings needed, pressure rated, ect....

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon May 05, 2008 1:44 am

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... html#56422 :)

As far as fittings, I had to get mine welded because the fittings didn't corrospond, but some fire extinguishers have NPT threads.

Dry Powder extinguishers are rated to 300psi+ IIRC.
CO2 ones are rated over 1800psi I believe.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 am

If I had a fire extinguisher canister, depending on the size of it, I would build a hybrid. As far as fittings, I would just see what you got and deal with it. If you get one with NPT threads just screw in a nipple to a union to a barrel. If you aren't lucky enough to get one with NPT threads then like Mr.C had to do, find a good welder and see if you can't beg him to do a quick weld job for ya. I'm excited to see what you get and what you build with it.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 am

Seems about right.

My Co2 fire extiguishers are rated at 1800psi, and have npt threads.

As for what to do with it, use it as a portable air tank for a refrigeration compressor.

Or,

If they are CO2, get an empty one, and pull the valve out. Install a suitable valve, fill this from a full extinguisher, add a regulator,hose and bleed valve, have fun.

I'm currently shooting my copper gun on 400psi CO2.

Sure beats pumping my a## off. :D

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 am

well, my buddy says they are rated to 2200 psi or so. guess I will see when it comes in. I will be pretty damn dissapointed if its rated around 300 psi.

It would be sweet if it has standard npt threads though.

anyways, provided it is rated at around 2000 psi, what would you guys do with it? I am deciding between crazy high psi pnuematic or hybrid...

EDIT: damn 2 posts during my reply..... I do have a fridge compressor I could use a tank for, maybe I could get more than one canister....

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Mon May 05, 2008 2:46 am

Fire extinguishers are usually only 300psi rated(or less). Main problem is cheap, thin aluminum in threaded neck(on many brands). Wears out quick after little use. The tanks actually have a rating that determines if the tank is refillable. I wouldn't bother with non-refillable much. I would make a permanent adapter that you lock-tite into place and use it to thread the rest into.

l would recommend a mini scuba tank at 6 cubic feet of air that is rated to 3000psi and has a 3/4' NPT neck with super burley 6061 aluminum.

You can use one of these as a portable source too.

This is how I like to run. The SCUBA regs are good for around 200psi with decent volume. Set of both can be had cheap. Using a scuba buoyancy compensating vest fitting as a fill nipplee on the launcher allows me to have hot hoses with the air feed lines in nicely rated, pliable hoses and gauges. Try Catalina cylinders or Luxfer.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Mon May 05, 2008 2:50 am

Regarding CO2 1800psi cannisters. I couldn't find any that had 3/4" npt in any manageble sizes. Those would still be very useful.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon May 05, 2008 8:59 am

Mine are 5lb'ers with 1/2" npt, and 10lb with what looks to be 1" npt (have not taken valve out to verify on the 10lb).

The brand name is General, made in Canada.

They are out of date, and as such cannot be commercially refilled or recertified. (according to the local fire safety company )

I like that "scuba" setup, what does it weigh?

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 pm

I've make a super airsoft gun :)

Big Tank=Many shots :)

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

Return to General Spud Cannon Related