Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Cam Locks

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Cam Locks

Unread postAuthor: King_TaTer » Mon May 19, 2008 9:48 pm

I have a problem regarding the use of cam locks.

I have done a lot of searching all over the place and have come short of a demonstration and/or the proper way of installing one on to a spud gun. I have found websites that sell them but I was confused becuase I'm not even sure how to attach a metal cam lock to PVC :o

So if anyone could supply a simple picture/diagram that explains it that would be awsome, thanks :wink:

King_TaTer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon May 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Here's how I've done it. These are 2" camlocks. This one has a 2" female thread and uses a 2" male to 3" male adapter (my chambers have a 3" threaded breech port)

This one has a 2" male thread and uses a 3" male to 2" female reducer bushing to interface to the 3" threaded breech...

This second one makes for a more compact installation. Hopefully this is detail enough for you. The adapters and bushing can be purchased where you buy the camlocks....Northern Tool in my case.

The metal ones are threaded and work the same way. You can thread them directly into the PVC threads. Be sure you use pipe dope for a good seal there.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: King_TaTer » Mon May 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Yeah thanks man I have a much better of understanding of them now. I think I would just have to start messing around with them to fully comprehend how to use them.

I do have some more questions though. What sealant/dope did you use to seal the metal and PVC? and, How high do you think the seal is rated?

King_TaTer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: willarddaniels » Tue May 20, 2008 12:04 am

Use teflon tape to seal the joint.
I believe threaded connections are rated at 50% that of the same size pipe. ... At least that is what I read on a spec sheet for metal fittings once.

If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're 30 and not a Conservative, you don't have a brain.
willarddaniels
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: starman » Tue May 20, 2008 12:19 am

King_TaTer wrote:Yeah thanks man I have a much better of understanding of them now. I think I would just have to start messing around with them to fully comprehend how to use them.

I do have some more questions though. What sealant/dope did you use to seal the metal and PVC? and, How high do you think the seal is rated?

Yep you can use teflon, I've found it to still leak just a tad sometimes on the big threaded joints, nothing serious usually. Certainly seals plenty well for 1x combustion guns. Pipe dope will usually seal it shut...just use it liberally. Find it where they sell the cements and solvents....most work on metal and PVC threads alike.

I can't give you a good answer on the rating....Willards answer seems conservative enough. Your threaded connections typically do seem to be the first joints that fail or show wear so 50% makes sense.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: King_TaTer » Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Alright i'll have to try that. Thanks for all your help guys, 'preciate it

King_TaTer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to General Spud Cannon Related