Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 4 registered, 1 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

rocksim

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:02 pm

D_Hall wrote:It does offend me that they're charging so much for the new version, but I suppose I should have seen that coming since they WANTED to charge that much for the original Splash (but I vetoed that on principal).

half the price i might understand, but 1 grand is just outragious, IMO

and just as a side question, is your degree in aerospace engineering?

and a second side question, do u have a uber accurate version of GGDT and HDGT for your work that your not allowed to release to us?

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:18 pm

sandman wrote:
D_Hall wrote:It does offend me that they're charging so much for the new version, but I suppose I should have seen that coming since they WANTED to charge that much for the original Splash (but I vetoed that on principal).

half the price i might understand, but 1 grand is just outragious, IMO

To be fair, the competition charges $12,000 (last time I checked and that was 10 years ago).

and just as a side question, is your degree in aerospace engineering?

Yes and no. It says "Mechanical Engineering" on it, but I fullfilled the requirements for both ME and AE but didn't have enough total credits for a double major (which would largely be pointless given how similar the two degrees are to start with).

and a second side question, do u have a uber accurate version of GGDT and HDGT for your work that your not allowed to release to us?

Nope. I do have access to some other software tools that ARE more accurate, but I often find them to be more PITA than they're worth. I mean, GGDT tends to be accurate within 5%. Some other tool may be good to 1%, but if it's 10X as hard to use... Why bother? 5% is close enough for design purposes and one can always calibrate post-construction.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:34 pm

D_Hall wrote:To be fair, the competition charges $12,000 (last time I checked and that was 10 years ago).
:o , and to think we WERE going to offer a 3D Spudgun simulation software for free, pfft

and sry for all these side questions, but do you actually have rocksim?, also do you have your high power rocketry license, or are missiles/dockets just your day job and not a hobby?

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:43 pm

high power rocketry license

What exactly is this "high power rocketry license"? It's probably a stupid question, but it seems like it would be difficult to prevent people from building whatever type of rocket they damn well please. Unless they're launching something like an orbital rocket, or doing something stupid, it wouldn't be very noticeable anyway.

Amazing how these empty threats of legal repercussions stop some people from pursuing their hobbies...

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 pm

it just lets you buy commercially made rocket engines exceeding like 320 (this number might be wrong) Newtons of thrust

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:05 pm

sandman wrote:and sry for all these side questions, but do you actually have rocksim?,

I have an old version of it. When I wrote Splash, Apogee provided me with complimentry copies of all the different software packages they sold so that I could (hopefully) integrate my package with the other packages. I looked at Rocksim, saw it's utility for the HPR guys, but had no real use for it myself.

also do you have your high power rocketry license, or are missiles/dockets just your day job and not a hobby?

HPR would never be a hobby of mine. No offense, but it's not intellectually challenging enough. Rather, I'm one of those guys who enjoys designing the motors (not merely airframes). Unfortunately, THAT hobby is insanely expensive if you want to do it right. I tried to get into it years ago but when I realized how much money it required I dropped out as I was too poor at the time. Thus, it is merely my day job.

I'm considering getting back into it though. My house is almost paid off and I should be able to buy a lathe and such without crying once that is done....

D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:07 pm

DYI wrote:
high power rocketry license

What exactly is this "high power rocketry license"?

It's called a "Low Explosive User Permit (LEUP)."

It's probably a stupid question, but it seems like it would be difficult to prevent people from building whatever type of rocket they damn well please.

Well, that's true... But if you get caught doing that sans license, the ATF will have you up on about a dozen different felony charges that you aren't likely to beat. Want to stay out of prison? Best to get that license.

Amazing how these empty threats of legal repercussions stop some people from pursuing their hobbies...

Uh... That one's not empty. In the post 9/11 world the ATF has made life a living hell for more than one rocketry enthusiast. The legal issues are very real.

D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Well, that's true... But if you get caught doing that sans license, the ATF will have you up on about a dozen different felony charges that you aren't likely to beat. Want to stay out of prison? Best to get that license.
Too bad its 18+ :( , but i guess i can wait a little more than a year

see im on the opposite end of designing, i like thinking about how i can get the most out of what i have got (all this talk of rockets makes me want to finish mine :()

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:26 pm

So where is the line drawn between a low powered rocket and a high powered rocket?

I don't actually live in the States, I was just wondering. There's probably something similar in Canada, but I live too far away from the areas of strict enforcement to really care.

Like many things, I believe that getting the license to do it can be a lot more trouble (and in some cases, more risky) than just making sure you don't get caught. If I lived in the US, where you can easily be thrown in prison for what is essentially the rest of your life for doing something completely harmless to anyone but yourself, my views would probably be different.

It sometimes seems as though honest hobbyists in the States get in more trouble than serial rapists do in Canada. Not very good either way, but I'm glad to be on the side of it that I am. Whatever happened to "live and let live"...

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:35 pm

The boundary of low power to high power is with the "J" type rocket which requires a license sponsored by the FAA to fire in the continental US. class J or larger are extremely powerful and either and L or M can put a small rocket into sub orbit, so the restriction is due to the risk of horizontal launching :shock: which obviously could cause some damage...

"<I>For dare to be peace, I have to keep at it everyday, da Man doesn't take days off so neither can I</I>" -<B>Bob Marley</B>, day before a performance, a day after being shot in the chest. "<I>If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down!</I>" -Bob again :brave:
daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:42 pm

no its "H" not "J" , but if i remember right certification is:
Level 1: H-J
Level 2: K-M
Level 3: N-P

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:45 pm

I had typed that first, but wasnt sure, its been 6 years since I messed with model rocketry... I just threw that out there cause I knew it was close... thanks for putting better info out there.

"<I>For dare to be peace, I have to keep at it everyday, da Man doesn't take days off so neither can I</I>" -<B>Bob Marley</B>, day before a performance, a day after being shot in the chest. "<I>If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down!</I>" -Bob again :brave:
daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:46 pm

when your in the navy you have better toys to play with, i understand

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 pm

no its "H" not "J" , but if i remember right certification is:
Level 1: H-J
Level 2: K-M
Level 3: N-P

That really doesn't help very much. I was wondering more in terms of thrust.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:22 pm

a G is 160 Newtons i think (i shall check), and every letter doubles

Edit: i r right, it is 160

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related