Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Difference between PVC Primer and PVC Cleaner?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:01 pm

They do sell clear primer seperate from the cleaner. I know, because that's practically all you can get here. It's really just a matter of what you're comfortable with, I guess. Some people would call me crazy for using DWV.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:45 pm

TurboSuper wrote:They do sell clear primer seperate from the cleaner. I know, because that's practically all you can get here. It's really just a matter of what you're comfortable with, I guess. Some people would call me crazy for using DWV.

Yeah it's just hard to find here in the US. Oatey makes a product called "clear primer" but apparently markets it only in other countries.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: socoj2 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 am

What i dont understand is on the label Oatey clearly says the cleaner contains

MEK
Tetrahydrofuran
Cyclohexanone
Acetone

THeir MSDS only says MEK and Acetone.

socoj2
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: ralphd » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:54 am

I know this is vague but it's on the Oatey website. I emailed them about the differences between primer and cleaner, hopefully they will give a detailed answer.

http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/FAQ.html

ralphd
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:22 pm

starman wrote:I'm just asking you to try it on some joints...real cannon or scrap parts. Feel the softening action and how the cement responds. You've done a heck of a lot of PVC cementing yourself, you know what I'm talking about.

The purpose is no purple. Why deal with it if you don't have to? And it is worth it, to me at least, same strong bonds...why not? We are still talking about PVC cement here doing the actual glueing work...not a generational shift down to Elmer's wood glue or anything.

I'm not here to call anyone down for using the purple stuff. I understand a guy's desire to go by the book on this and I respect that. But this not unsafe or stupid advice and as far as I'm concerned at least, is a proven alternative.

No, the difference between cleaner and primer is not just the purple die. You can buy primer without dye, it is still primer and not cleaner.

From the Oatey site (link)
1. What is the difference between pipe cleaner, primer / cleaner and primer?
All pipe surfaces should be thoroughly cleaned with pipe cleaner. The cleaner is formulated to remove surface dirt and any oil or grease that exists on the pipe from the manufacturing process. Primer/cleaner and primer contain more aggressive solvents and will soften the pipe surface to allow the solvent cement to penetrate more effectively. Primer is often required by plumbing code and sometimes a purple colored primer (purple primer) is needed.

Starman my have had no problems using cleaner in place of primer, just as some folks have had no problems omitting both cleaner and primer. That does not mean it is the best way to glue a joint. Starman may be correct, cleaner may well be as good as primer, but I think I'll go with what US building codes and the manufacturers say as the best way to make a pressure rated joint.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 pm

jimmy101 wrote:Starman my have had no problems using cleaner in place of primer, just as some folks have had no problems omitting both cleaner and primer. That does not mean it is the best way to glue a joint. Starman may be correct, cleaner may well be as good as primer, but I think I'll go with what US building codes and the manufacturers say as the best way to make a pressure rated joint.

This issue isn't a hill on which I plan on dying Jimmy. I greatly respect your background and by-the-book position on this. I've stated my real world findings and stand by them. Anyone else is welcome to experiment and corroborate the finding if so desired...or ignore it all together. Either way is OK with me.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related