Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

The uses of a drill press ?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Gippeto wrote:You didn't actually mention your budget did you?

Yeah, I didn't. As awesome as the milling machines look, I'm only getting about $110 of birthday financial support (I of course can invest my own money, but don't seem to have much right now). Milling machines cost about $400 at their cheapest, so that's pretty far out of my price range. Drill presses start at $50 (I'd probably get a 120$ or so one) and lathes start at 100$ at their cheapest.
Additionaly, my dad doesn't want me to get a lathe much since he's afraid I'll start turning metal (I can't really afford a metal lathe by the way) and there'll be all these metal bits on the floor to cut his feet up when he goes in there to check the furnace. And if I can't do anything with metal, I'm missing out on the best parts of a lathe.
Finally, I don't know much about lathes or how the spudder really uses them. :oops: Not a valid excuse, but I just kind of figure a drill press is currently my best option for financial and somewhat practical reasons.

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:53 pm

apparently tools are cheap in the USA... almost every type of lathe costs 3 or 4 times more in Poland, which is quite suprising given the fact that everything is cheaper here....

LOL I am moving to the US

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:54 pm

I think that's a good decision for you noob, although I would stay away from the $50 drill presses. This Delta model would be a solid bang for the buck...a little over your range. However, usually the more you spend, like most anything else, the more drill press you will get...it's really all about the size of your pocket book.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related