Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 62 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 59 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

The uses of a drill press ?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
The uses of a drill press ?

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:20 pm

I don’t have a lathe, or a drill press. So for my birthday, I can choose to get one or the other. I choose the drill press, because:

-It can drill accurate 90 degrees holes (overall useful for ammo, mini barrels, etc.)

-It is stronger than my regular drill (for drilling metal and overall faster drilling)

-It can be outfitted with a rotary tool cutting-bit. (this http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-561-Spiral ... d_sbs_hi_5 or this http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-561-Spiral ... d_sbs_hi_5 )

-It can be used as a lathe to cut grooves (refer to picture below)

-It can make 90 degree cuts in things like a miter saw when something is pulled through the bit with a vice used to guide

-It can be used as a lathe as shown in Gippeto’s “Easy stirrup pump” thread.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/easy-st ... 13277.html

So…all these ideas seem legitimate to me. I realize that the cutting bits might not perform that well on a drill since it uses lower speeds than it’s supposed to be used, but I think that it’ll be okay.
Any problems you see in my logic? Any recommendations? And what do you think of the whole cutting-bit business?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments
Drill press lathe.jpg
The drill press to "lathe" conversion setup
Drill press lathe.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 488 times
noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Seems like valid reasoning. But don't buy a cheap one, they are not solid enough to do accurate machining operations IMO.

When shopping, look for solid, heavy cast iron construction.

At least a 1/2" chuck 5/8" is better.

At least 1 hp, 1.5hp would be better. Any bigger and you may need to get an electrician to wire a new outlet.

Remember that quality tools do last a lifetime, but they also cost more initially. Buy the best that you can afford and you will never be sorry.

Get something like this too (from a better supplier). :)

http://item.express.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA ... MILAR_LINK

I've seen some amazing mill work done with a drill press and a 2 way vise.

It's a very cost effective set up. It will surprise you with what it can actually do.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: CS » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:33 am

I'd suggest getting a lathe. Doing a lot of these weird operations on a drill press can lead to eventual damage of the machine. Mainly the spindle. Not to mention rigging your machinery, and everything has to be a hassle and a half.

I own a lathe, and all I can say is it is an awesome machine. To tell you the truth I was scared to machine metal at first. Something about touching a piece of metal spinning at 2K RPM, against a metal tool scared me.

CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:34 am

I suggest a lathe, as you can drill perfect centers on a lathe and you can't really on a drill press.

Badman
MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:00 am

holy! of course you choose the lathe! you can look at necrosis and his work on a lathe. and it is easyer to sell the lathe and get a drill press if you wont have the lathe and not possible the other way.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 am

All drill presses have more "slop" in the spindle then even cheep lathes have. Lathes can be adapted to do way more work then drill presses, with way more accuracy. You have to get more tooling for a lathe, but the end result pays off. Get nothing smaller the the 7X10 Pimpmann22 has if we have finaly convinced you to change to the lathe.

Look around the internet and research the different kinds, sizes and what they come with. I got mine from Harbor Freight, it's the 8X12 and came with enough tooling to do minor turning rite out of the box. cnczone.com is a great place to compair just about any kind of shop machiney you can think of.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:52 am

Well, I really would like a lathe, but I just feel that even though it does do things better and with higher quality, I also need to be able to drill straight holes for certain ammo designs I've been wanting to try out. I don't really have much current need for a lathe since all my pistons at least seem to work well, and this is the closest thing I can get to a miter saw due to parental restrictions. :cry:

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:57 am

but you can drill with a lathe!

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:00 am

A milling machine?
You have described a poor man's milling machine.
BTW, A Bridgeport milling machine is one of the few tools capable of reproducing itself. Course the ones I've seen are big and expensive.

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:09 am

Im pretty damn sure that I had already mentioned that you can drill...using a lathe. Just stick a drill bit in the tailstock. I do it all the time.

Badman
MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 am

Wow...that is a real dillema.

I'd probably go for the lathe- you can usually do a drill press's job with a hand drill if you center punch your work before drilling and use a li'l muscle, but there really is no substitute for a good lathe.

Besides, then you can put big metal spikes on everything :twisted:

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:44 am

I'd go with the lathe myself.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:22 am

A drill press usually enters someone's shop sooner than a machining lathe 99% of the time. While the drilling precision of a lathe is great, it's just not necessary most of the time and a drill press will be faster to setup to just punch out straight general purpose holes. A lathe is usually put to use as a precision machining tool. However, if you are working mostly with and need a lot of precision cuts, the lathe is for you.

So... 8) ...if I had the opportunity to get one or the other as a gift, it would be hard not to ask for the lathe...especially since I already own a drill press... :roll:

Actually, you should strive to eventually have both tools if possible. The drill press will be somewhat cheaper than the lathe.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 am

You didn't actually mention your budget did you?

If you have a budget for a lathe, you might consider something like this;

https://www.smithy.com/product_home.php ... id=8&pid=3

This is essentially what I use at work.

It's a compromise machine at best. It work OK but not nearly as good as dedicated tools.

Shop around carefully. Some makers include things you will need. ie, cutters, steady and follow rests, 3 and 4 way chucks, varying adapters for the mill head.

Don't be fooled into thinking you MUST have carbide cutters either. HSS will be adequate for most jobs you will do.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Dude get a lathe! What you described is a milling machine if that's what you want get that. Drill press's aren't made for the sideways force or whatever happens when you do that. If you want both lathes are more expensive and rarer to find. If your parents are buying it you could always pick up a second hand drill press on craigslist...

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related