Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Baseball Bat Chamber(?)...

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Baseball Bat Chamber(?)...

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:33 am

I've been thinking of combustion/hybrid designs and about using an aluminum baseball bat similar to This cheap one.
It's probably not the Ideal shape. But they're sturdy, light and one piece.

I have a design I think would be workable but IDK how well one would work as a chamber as far as power/ safety.
Also I've never noticed one used as a chamber.
BTW The example link is $22 at walmart.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance! 8)

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:56 am

I chuckled a little when I saw this... I believe it would be plenty strong enough to handle basic combustion maybe some low tension 2 or 3X hybrids. Your big challenge would be transitioning to your barrel or burst disk adapter in a solid and safe way...probably welding your best bet...and aluminum welding is always a challenge....well, for me anyway... :wink:

You'll also have to figure a way to get fuel, air and a spark source in there...I assume you have contemplated the same. I imagine it could look pretty cool if nothing else!

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 am

Make it into a co-ax piston with the barrel in the handle end, then you have a hidden baseball bat gun.

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Darkside 6ix » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:27 am

problem with the pneumatic idea is that the bat isnt all one same size and i would think you would have alot of trouble finding/making a piston that could seal... i suppose you could use a rubber ball of some sort

"Dude, if all of the people on spudfiles got together with all of their cannons, we could take over china"
Darkside 6ix
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 am

yeah i can see it being incredibly hard, just got the idea cause I was watching mythbusters yesterday and they made one out of an umbrella

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:11 am

I would have described what I'm thinking of in the OP but I wanted to keep it short.
My main interest in the Bat is that the handle would actually be a barrel shroud and the rest would be the chamber.

The valve would be a small diameter Blow forward bolt.
The barrel with Blow-forward bolt attached would be slid into the handle and the magazine will pass through a hole in the bat.
And thread into a (metall) T fitting on the front of the bolt.

For fueling I would drill a hole and drop in a threaded shrader.
For ignition I was thinking a stun gun with the (small) lead wires passing through small holes and epoxied in.
Perhaps there will be two switches controlling ignition. (one on the bolt, one for the trigger) so it will only spark when there's proper pressure.
I was imagining a coaxial positioning but it could also be located in the front of the chamber.
Oxygen would probably need to be in the mix since it won't vent in a normal way. If that will work well at all (?).

Also a lot of bats have a plastic cap on top rather than one solid piece
That might be useful for installing internals then adding a metal plug (Bolts into sides). Actually if the chamber is too long for a safe shape I was thinking of sawing off the top and doing this too. But I prefer a one piece bat (without endcap)

It could also be used for a basic, hidden inside, combustion with just a sparker and fuel added first. That way it could be carried into a field looking like a bat. (Barrel could be epoxied in).
Maybe kept loaded under a bed or something. (Bad idea but safety stories...) :twisted:

For a pneumatic chamber maybe there's a compression fitting that could be attached to handle and it could be used as an over-under chamber. 8)

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related