Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Anybody here know how to remove Glued pvc

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Anybody here know how to remove Glued pvc

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi All, I need to remove an existing part on my spudgun in order to accommodate a cam-lock coupler rather than my P.I.T.A. screw-on/screw-off barrel. I have looked at previous threads on the topic, of which there are plenty, none of which were very definitive. Just in case you're curious, I absolutely do not need the piece I'm removing, but obviously don't want to damage my spud gun in the process. I don't know if anyone has come up with a killer method of removing two glued parts, but here's what I've read thus far that seem plausible, but none seem very easy.

Method 1: cut cut cut. Basically removing the glued pieces by totally destroying one, which I'm ok with. The problem is it seem like a rather labor intensive and potentially damaging process. I do have a dremel and am not afraid to try to hack this off, but this leaves little if no room for error.

Method 2: Heat removal. This one has me scratching my head. Basically heating the glued parts and prying them apart. This doesn't seem to jive with my understanding of how PVC glue works. It basically melts the two parts into one right? Therefore heat can only melt both parts rather than the seam. I don't know, but if it's possible, I could see how this could be an easier method.

Method 3: Hammering the two pieces apart. Again very little room for error and even higher risk of potential error.

Any feed back would be much appreciated. I hope to never have to do this again!

Thanks

Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:02 pm

I would think method one would be best. Because you are right, the pieces become one. Thats what solvent welding is. If you get them hot enough im sure you can pull them apart. Thats because you jsut turn everything to moosh.

I dont know about hammering. It doesnt seem like it would break clean. I would cut the piece out and them dremel it flush with the priginal fitting/pipe.

Poop.
iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 pm

just buy new pipe. its so cheap it isnt worth trying to remove the glue, unless you just cut off the part you screwed up.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Several here claim to be able to "unglue" the parts...Mr.Crowley has offered a couple of methods which I don't remember all the details. PM him and see if he'll help you with them.

My position is pretty much the standard plumbers position....it's a permanent weld...tough dookie. I know it's a pain but I would just disassemble what you can and rebuild the chamber to accomodate the cam lock threads.

When working with a new design I usually don't weld things up until as many decisions have been made as possible. Having a threaded 2 or 3" breech and a 4" intake side openings allows for lots of options.

Last edited by starman on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:15 pm

I agree starman. Its a permanent weld. You cant "unglue" them. But you can remove unwanted parts.

Poop.
iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:25 pm

iisthemuffin wrote:I agree starman. Its a permanent weld. You cant "unglue" them. But you can remove unwanted parts.

I would think by taking off the piece you would be weakening the pipe it is attached to. At the very least increasing the risk of a snap.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Well i guess in a sense your kind of right. It would probably make the pipe thinner than it was originally. and it would probably be less chemically stable

Poop.
iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:12 pm

I was afraid of that. I'm pretty good with a dremel, but this will probably take an hour or two if I'm lucky. I wouldn't have changed anything on my Cannon if I didn't discover this website and for the first time see a Cam-lock, so in a way this is all your fault :D . This part will be absolutely essential for the quick load system I have devised. Of course my big spud gun has been modded so many times I can no longer just saw and add to it, I have to either scrap the entire thing, which would break my heart, or perform elective invasive surgery. I think I'll be doing a lot of dremeling tonight!

Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:20 pm

There are special drill bits to remove PVC from fittings, but there expensive. 1 would be best.

rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Best way

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:11 pm

OK I got er dun this weekend. It was MUCH easier than anticipated. Took about 15 minutes. Here's how I did it:

first off the fitting was a 4"-2" reducer, the kind with a conical reduction tip. I cut off the cone portion to leave only the 4" connection portion and the PVC pipe it was glued to. I then used a dremel and cut sections about 5-6" apart with a grinding wheel attachment being careful not to cut into the pipe and only cut the fitting.

After these sections were cut (and 3 grinding bits later, fyi, cut slow and with little pressure) I used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to remove the sections piece by piece. This sounds a little scary, but it really was the easiest part. Tap lightly and you won't even gouge into the pvc. The primed glue, while a tough connection, is softer than the pvc and will give way. Sometimes you'll get a few bits that refuse to come off, just dremel them down and you are done!

It was very easy considering the circumstances. I am comfortable in saying that in the instance that you don't care that you're destroying the fitting this method is pretty fool proof and should cause no structural damage to your gun. :)

Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:21 pm

I bet that would work with reducer bushings too, because they need a coupler which is similar to your reducer, but it doesn't reduce. Nice method! :D

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:47 pm

There's no reason it shouldn't work with a bushing and coupler using the exact same method. Again cut off the bushing and part of the coupler then just dremel and hammer. I'm proabably going to do it again to the same spud gun. I went a little nuts adding bells and whistles that really didn't do anything but make it heavier.

Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Good job on the PVC reclaim effort!... although I would have just rebuilt the chamber, part cost being relatively low. Also the 4" stuff is probably a little easier to work with as you did. I imagine the smaller the parts get the harder it will be to break them loose.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:26 pm

starman wrote:Good job on the PVC reclaim effort!... although I would have just rebuilt the chamber, part cost being relatively low.

Not on this gun :) I'll post pics someday, but suffice it to say it's the largest "Carriable" gun I have ever created. It has it's own shoulder strap and some other customized features I would have hated to rebuild! This was definately easier and cheaper than a rebuild.

Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Best way

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Radiation wrote:first off the fitting was a 4"-2" reducer, the kind with a conical reduction tip.

It's good that you got it off, especially since it was DWV :shock:

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related