Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

(Too) Loud Shots

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: iemand » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:35 am

I had something with firework, my dad had one of those big skyrockets.
He thought it would lift off when you stick it in the ground, and light it.
But unfortunately, it didn't...

My neighbors and my mom and dad where watching it, saying something like: Ohhhh that's beautiful (when the rocket engine flame came out of the rocket)

The only thing I though was: crap...

So I screamed that it was going to explode on the ground, and putted my hands onto my ears.
But when I almost covered my left ear(which was pointed towards the rocket) it exploded.
And I was only like 8ft away from it :wink:

My neighbors(like 70 years old then) where running like hell back to there house, and my father was like: "what happened?, o, lol"

All I could think of was: crap, I'm deaf (on my left ear), I couldn't hear anything but a loud ringing.

Well fortunately it's all ok by now, but if someone is screaming in my left ear, I can still feel something's not 100% ok in there(let's say 99% still is :P )

iemand
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:32 pm

I've been fairly abusive to my ears over the course of my life. I acquired permanent (although very mild, most of the time I didn't even realize it was there) tinnitus long before I got into spudding, so I can't tell for sure if I have caused any serious damage, but I wouldn't doubt it.

- Fired my advanced combustion cannon with only air as the projectile. No hearing protection. Couldn't hear for several seconds, hearing was muffled for several minutes afterward.

- Accidentally fired my hybrid (At only a 3x mix) inside my shop. Although the door was open, the walls did a very effective job of reflecting the sound wave back to my ears. Severely muffled hearing for about 10 minutes.

- Build a pill bottle cannon. Fueled it with oxygen and MAPP gas. Earplugs failed to provide adequate protection. Severely muffled hearing for about 2 minutes.

- While disconnecting my high pressure pump from my BB gun, the rubber schrader valve blew apart directly in front of my face. The face shield worked well, but once again, the earplugs were insufficient. Slightly muffled hearing for about 30 seconds.

I need better hearing protection...

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Worst I've had so far would be when I was testing the chamber on the CA1 in my garage, WAAAY back when I was first getting into pneumatics. Charged it up to about 40psi and flipped the manual vent on the watermaster valve. 40psi in a little confined space in a room that naturally magnifies sound waves is pretty damn loud.

I've been shooting since I was 7, and started shooting competitively for about a year and a half, so I know loud. :lol:

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:56 pm

try 3000 psi hpa tank explosion.(my ears still ring to this day :D ) but really i am serious

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:01 pm

I used to be an idiot and make pipe bombs :roll: . I learned my lesson but Ive had tinnitus for half my life. Too much time around uncovered early V8's and spud guns :P

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Sticky_Tape » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:03 pm

Are you dead?

You can tell how awesome a cannon is by the pressure used.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/high-pr ... 12803.html
xnt rnm ne z ahtbg
Sticky_Tape
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: FishBoy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:06 pm

aahhh... the first time i tried to shoulder fire my 1" piston gun, the exhaust was right by my ear

also, i sail lasers (google it) competitively and there was one regatta when someone lost there daggerboard and it sank so my dad dove down to get it & he didn't equalize the pressure in his ears so his left eardrum busted (ouch :x )

FishBoy
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:14 pm

I was experimenting with valves to vent my main gun. Made the mistake of placing it in a manner that shot straight up (not in my face of course, but forward and away) It didn't even occur to me at the time that the vent, when open, was pointing right at my hand. Not only did it make my ears ring and lose sound for a couple seconds, I also managed to give myself a bit of shell shock. I literally was disoriented for a minute and thought my gun had exploded and couldn't remember what happened and it took me about five minutes to figure out it was the damn valve. I had also managed to synge the hair on my left hand.

Talk about a design flaw, sometimes when you draw something up on paper, you miss the most obvious things and field testing often shows the error in your logic. I don't consider myself to be stupid, but in hindsight it's obvious how poorly place the valve really was. I removed it this weekend as a matter of fact.

Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Previous

Return to General Spud Cannon Related