Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ignitor help!!

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
ignitor help!!

Unread postAuthor: buggsysiegel77 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi all, I am new to this site and pretty new to making spud guns... that being said I made what in my mind is a pretty awesome 6in to 3in 10.5 foot long gun that shoots pretty darn far and is loud enough to make me think the cops will be knocking at my door any minute. The problem i have is that it keeps breaking the grill igniters I'm using. what is the best way to ignite this bad boy and if its electronic where can i find a good electric ignitor for under $30(oh yea i'm a college student)(p.s. that means i'm poor) =) so help me out you guys! thanks

buggsysiegel77
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:59 pm

What exactly is going wrong with your igniters? You can use a stun gun or a disposable camera circuit with an ignition coil. With a gun that big I would use multiple spark gaps. BCARMS has stun guns for $24.99.

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:54 pm

A stun gun would be good. I wouldn't recommend bcarms though. Users have posted that he isn't active anymore.

Try to find an electric grill igniter if you can't find a stun gun. Their are some pictures of them in a sticky somewhere.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:57 pm

You could just buy a better quality piezo sparker, they really shouldn't be dying out that often.

But if you're looking for a battery powered solution, an electric grill ignitor or a stungun is your best bet. I got an electric grill ignitor for $25 and it works wonders.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: buggsysiegel77 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:54 am

thanks, I've been looking at stun guns and think thats the direction I'm gonna go. this one at Cabela's (Palco Mini Thunder Blaster III Stun Gun) its only 20 dollars, is it a good one??

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0018845225702a.shtml

if people say it is then all i have to do is ask one of my friends in Delaware to let me ship it to their house cause nj is weird like that. any comments would again be much appreciated.

buggsysiegel77
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: buggsysiegel77 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:05 am

and about what went wrong i went through three of them, it seems like every time i get a really good shot the igniters would just stop sparking. now i have a hole drilled directly into the 6in and slide the whole igniter in so only the button sticks out if i have to change this what is the best way and what do i do to cover the hole if i have the igniter on the outside??

buggsysiegel77
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:55 am

The best way to do it is a couple #6 machine screws drilling through double layers of pvc or abs. put a nut outside the chamber and one inside the chamber and it will allow you to precicely adjust your spark gap. Then I attach the wires coming off the piezo to the spark gap. This takes away the force of combustion on the piezo and makes your chamber that much stronger. It also allows you to position the "trigger" in a more ergomonical place.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:00 am

You can use epoxy to cover the hole. I am not sure what type to use but i am sure JSR would.

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to General Spud Cannon Related