Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pressure rated DWV?

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pressure rated DWV?

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:10 pm

Ok, today I went to Home Depot to get some parts for my 3 in piston cannon. Since I only needed a 2 ft section of 3" pipe I looked in the bin to see if there were any scraps. What I found was a 2 ft section of 3"
NSF- DWV 260 PSI. Should I use this as a chamber or should I wait until they get there pipe shipment in and by the 2 ft section of NSF- PW
is the 260 PSI rating on the DWV crush pressure ? Can some one explain this to my?

if you live in Ohio join the Ohio Spud Gun and BBMG Association at http://www.ohiosga.webs.com
jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:19 pm

It is safe to use. I've used it myself, and it works fine. Heavy, though. I think the reason it's DWV is that maybe the manufacturing process leaves contaminants that make it unsuitable for potable water.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:25 pm

THe reason I am asking is so when I pressure up the gun, it won't blow my face to next wednesday.

about the potable water thing, that may be a possibility. It has a flat not smooth outer and inner surface.

if you live in Ohio join the Ohio Spud Gun and BBMG Association at http://www.ohiosga.webs.com
jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 pm

Yes its safe to use.Is the dwv thing on the end? The nsf-pw may have been cut off.On some of the pipe I've gotten from home depot it was dual rated for pw and dwv.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:48 pm

I am unsure if it was dual rated. I know it was solid core and not the foam core.

Doesn't DWV stand for drainige water and venting
and PW stand for Potable water?

jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Yes they do.Where is the pressure rating/important stuff on the pipe?It may have been cut off.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:56 pm

I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying that I am unsure if the pice I had was dual rated. I know Home Depot carries dual rated pipe.

jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:02 pm

I am not accusing you of accusing me that I am wrong. :D I am wondering if some information got cut off the piece of pipe. I've gotten some sections that had the dwv part with have a pressure rating attached.What I'm trying to say is that most likely the nsf-pw part has been cut off to another piece.

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

That is a possibility, they keep the scraps of pipe for me, so who knows.
(It is a pretty cool deal, I only have to pay by the foot for scraps. to day I got 5 ft of 1.5 in NSF -PW for a little more than $2)
I am unaware if your home depot has the bin like thing that has 2 Ft lengths of pipe for sale, but when they run out of a certain size, they cut up a 10 ft section until the new shipment comes in.

jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:48 pm

You sure it didn't say PW and DWV? Sometimes they'll print both just to say it conforms to both standards.

I've seen pressure rated DWV before, but 200+ PSI seems a bit high for straight DWV...got a pic of the pipe?

And yes, DWV= Drain Waste Vent, PW= Potable/Pressurized water.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Almost any material is ok to use for a combustion as it never really reaches extreme rates of pressure. I would definitely stay away from ABS/Cellular Core for Hybrids and Pneumatic's. But if you can get PVC Sched 40 or 80 use that! Spears is a great manufactor that produces ANY piping/fitting your heart could desire in PW. Just recently I ordered a 4x4x2 T-Pipe and 4x4x2 Y-Pipe from them. I hunted Home Depot and Lowe's and they told me those fittings didn't even exist. LMAO :P

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:51 am

I know it is not cellular core, it is defiantly solid core. I will post a pic later (I just got out of a final and will head to the plumbing place after I log out)

jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:50 pm

The pressure rating means it is PW rated.

Since DWV is mechanicaly compatable with PW rated pipe that means any piece of PW can be used for DWV applications.

Most PW pipe I've seen also says DWV. Your piece of pipe has the most important rating still on it, the 280 PSI pressure rating.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Xxplosive42o wrote:Almost any material is ok to use for a combustion as it never really reaches extreme rates of pressure.

I prefer to avoid materials like cheese and lead foil.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jitup » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Update on the situation, I found another piece today, it had NSF-DWV AND NSF-PW rating on it, so yes it is duel rated.

one more quick question, I am going to put interchangable barrels on the gu via threaded adapter, and I can't find a 2 in female NSF-pw threaded adapter. I found a DWV one (It is not a drain clean out) since it is for the barrel and air likes to take the easiest path out (the big hole at the end) I wanted to know if you guys would think it to be safe to use it. It is solid core, just the glue depth is not as deep as NSF-pw, but I think it would be Ok since it is a barrel adapter. (it is strange that I have all the 3 inch NSF-pw parts readily avalible, but I just can't find this one stinkin 2 inch part!!!!)

jitup
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related