Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Gippeto, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Peizo sparker handle

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Peizo sparker handle

Unread postAuthor: jmeyer1022 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:25 pm

Can anyone link me the tutorial for this? I know there is one search is bringing up tons of unrelated topics. If you can find it thanks if not thanks for trying atleast.

jmeyer1022
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:36 pm

use your imagination, it isnt hard to make a handle out of 3/4'' pvc.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:25 pm

Forget about the peizo ignitors. Look into either electric powered ignitors or stun gun ignitors. Either of which can be modified to fit into a hobby box that will be velcro'd to your chamber. It is a great idea to put the fan circuit in the box as well. Then run longer lead wires from the power button to a handle that you can construct and mount either a momentary or push-to-make button to it. It is very simple, just use your imagination.

People are not going to respond to a question like that because if its content. It is just something you don't really ask per say because its most likely been covered 100x in the how-to section of this forum. Use the search and enter the topic, if something doesn't come up then rephrase the subject matter. I just looked and found several similar topic relating.

Cheers! -Xxplosive42o 8)

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 pm

1. Don't forget about BBQ piezos. They work fine. A stungun is better but is usually more expensive and they are illegal in many places.

2. Here is one easy way to mount a standard BBQ piezo. Image

3. Or, get the fuel source and ignition system from a long-handled fireplace lighter;
Omit the 35mm film canister, it's for something else. Run the fuel hose into the chamber. Wire the two piezo wires to your spark electrodes. The lighter's trigger is used to fuel and fire the cannon, on separate pulls of the trigger.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Also, you might want to sleeve the PVC where you drill in for the screws to reinforce it. Pre-drill your holes, just screwing them in can cause stress fractures.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:00 pm

I personally can't stand small (anything below 1-1/2" D) pistol grips. I would use a 2" tee and a length of 2" pipe for the pistol grip, and mount the piezo through the pipe.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:19 pm

paaiyan wrote:Also, you might want to sleeve the PVC where you drill in for the screws to reinforce it. Pre-drill your holes, just screwing them in can cause stress fractures.

Question for you Paaiyan, What kind of piping can you sleeve Sched 40 pipe with? I know SDR-21 fits snug with Sched 80 but I know that's due to the thick walls of 80's pipe.

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Just put the screws through where there are two layers of PVC, like where the female adapter and pipe overlap, or where a coupling/tee/etc. overlap the pipe.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:31 pm

I know that Mark, but if there was a size of pvc that could sleeve certain sections of the chamber it would create a more ergonomic placement of electrodes and needed intrusions of the chamber. I was just thinking it would be great if there was a material that slipped snugly inside 4" Sched 40. O'well...

Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, 3" SCH-40 fittings usually fit inside of 4" pipe... USUALLY...

It's pretty risky. Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes you have to sand the fitting for 30 minutes to get it to fit.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to General Spud Cannon Related