Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

contest

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 

Up fo a contest?

yes
90%
no
10%

Total votes : 10
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 pm

hmm.. will probably end up being another contest that doesnt really lend itself to BBMGs.

When the day comes that there is a BBMG contest or atleast an Airsoft contest.. I will be happy.. but Its been suggested before and its been suggested as a category in many contests but as soon as the contest gets approved it is removed or altered.

So here is to crossing my fingers in hoping for a BBMG/Airsoft contest...

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:13 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:at around 6000 users we cannot get 50...Ok then 20 that is still 100$ if every one dontates 5$...and i think some, including my self would be willing to pay more.

6600 odd members, 6000 probably haven't even made a single post. Out of the remaining 600, 400 probably have made under 200 posts and haven't visited in at least several months, then out of the other 200 members, probably only 50 are active.

Out of those 50, you need them to build a new cannon that is worth them donating a $5 entry fee for. So you're probably left with about 20 odd members willing to enter.

@David,

That's probably not a bad idea for a seperate contest. BBMG's do have a disadvantage in all spudgun contests mainly because they're not 'cannons' as such.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:15 pm

to be exact about 3012 have not made a single post :D but i think i get where you are going

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:21 pm

A surprising amount have visited in the last few days, yet only a handful have made a post in that time... :?

Who knows, maybe a contest will get some more members active, afterall they still seem to be visiting the site.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:23 pm

MrCrowley wrote:@David,

That's probably not a bad idea for a seperate contest. BBMG's do have a disadvantage in all spudgun contests mainly because they're not 'cannons' as such.

Yeah its always been a good idea.. that along with an innovation contest have always been great ideas.. but they always get over shadowed.
So I doubt one would get started any time soon.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: cheeseboy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:03 pm

say, for the entry fees, that would be in american dollars right? because that would mean that aussies would have to pay nearly double! but I agree with david and Mr. crowley we need a bbmg contest but can it also have high velocity bb snipers :?:

cheeseboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:05 pm

I would say anything airsoft related.. whether it be a grenade launcher, a BBMG or high velocity bb snipers :D

something 6mm caliber or smaller :D

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:10 pm

cheeseboy wrote:say, for the entry fees, that would be in american dollars right? because that would mean that aussies would have to pay nearly double!

And people from Japan would probably have to pay 500 yen, but that doesn't mean it's 100x the amount. :roll:

Aussies would pay roughly $8 AUS, not $8USD. So i'm not sure why you are complaining.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:59 pm

While I'm for the contest I have to admit I was saving my gun for it, but gave up and decided just to post it. I hate to think anyone else is doing the same just to win the contest. I don't think the mods on this site need that kind of pressure. Personally I just enjoy the site.

I void warranties.

The Gauntlet of Clara Ann
Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Yes to the contest but boo to the all metal idea. I just currently started on a duel QUEV Pneumatic with a sprinkler as the pilot that will be handheld. muahah

It would be a shame if I couldnt enter it because of restrictions. :cry:

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm

A competition sounds good :) I'll support it.

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:42 pm

The "all metal" or "all PVC" restrictions are a terrible idea. If you want a significant amount of people to enter, leave it open to ALL cannons. I've seen plenty of PVC launchers that are more impressive than many metal cannons, and vice versa. In fact, I voted for a PVC launcher (GB Semi) during the last contest in 2007. Outdoor conditions should not influence the theme, as we have plenty of active members in the southern hemisphere who would be left out if we went with a "winter" type theme.

IMO, it should be similar to the April/May 2007 contest.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Xxplosive42o » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 pm

I agree with SpudBlaster 100%

Whatever the weather may be, it should have no influence on the contest. Members on this forum come from all over the earth. Remember It's winter in the states and its summer in the outback. With that example I hope you season suggestor's can realise the implications of that.

Cheers! 8)

" Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will. "
Xxplosive42o
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:27 pm

I think the contest should be open to all kinds (combustion, pneumatic, mini hybrid and bbmg) and all construction (PVC, metals, and ghetto materials). It's always going to be winter somewhere, summer somewhere so you can't have the weather affecting your spudgun. Perhaps an inbuilt thermostat?

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 pm

Here are some comments I culled from the contest thread back in the summer. I believe they are a great place to pick back up. Notice Larda's prophetic comment at the end...he was already contemplating "Lardas First Hybrid - HyGaC20"... 8)

I also have empathy for guys like Radiation who really held off for a looong time awaiting the contest...then finally just posted it.

Anyway....

PCGUY wrote:If this really goes then I would probably like to handle the cash involved, just because it would be an "official" contest.

Question is, what kind of competition is this? The last one was most ingenuity... it could be the same or different. Also gotta remember we need PLENTY of heads up time for this, especially depending on the type of contest. An ingenuity contest would need to run until end of summer to allow plenty of time for ideas to be made and things built. I think ingenuity would be great to do again, but I am open to other ideas as well.

willarddaniels wrote:I think the contest shoule be for the best all-around cannon. Ingenuity would be a part of it. Make a rubic for scoring, something like this:
Ingenuity: 1-10 pts
Paint/finish: 1-10 pts
Power: 1-10 pts
Size: 1-10 pts
Overall aesthetics/design: 1-10 pts
% of popular vote: 1-50 pts

Popular vote would not be winner takes all, but your point total would be a representative of the % of votes you received out of all votes cast. The other items would be judged by a panel, like the mods. The average score from each other area would be assigned an appropriate point value. The cannon with the highest number of points wins!

This is one way that we can "shoot" for a fair contest that includes all members as well as makes it not so much a popularity contest, but has some specific guidelines/criteria.

Okay- I am ready to hand out money for this... who do I send it to?

PCGUY wrote:
The last contest had a post quota of sorts. Do we want to do the same thing again? Or a membership date deadline? This way, it can help stop double entries and other unethical behavior.

Yes, for any official contest I perform LOTS of checks to ensure "fishy business" isn't going on.

I think the contest shoule be for the best all-around cannon. Ingenuity would be a part of it. Make a rubic for scoring, something like this:
Ingenuity: 1-10 pts
Paint/finish: 1-10 pts
Power: 1-10 pts
Size: 1-10 pts
Overall aesthetics/design: 1-10 pts
% of popular vote: 1-50 pts

Popular vote would not be winner takes all, but your point total would be a representative of the % of votes you received out of all votes cast. The other items would be judged by a panel, like the mods. The average score from each other area would be assigned an appropriate point value. The cannon with the highest number of points wins!

This is one way that we can "shoot" for a fair contest that includes all members as well as makes it not so much a popularity contest, but has some specific guidelines/criteria.

I like this idea, I think we should use something very similar to this rubric to make the contest more broad and fair. I also like the idea of an entry fee, so distribution of fees for everyone is equal.

We will continue discussion until the "Favorite gun on the site " election is over (June 1st). After that, we will see about making some official dates and decisions.

Davidvaini wrote:
rp181 wrote:i can see how you think its going to be biased, but it always will. For example, most people are gonna favor the power of pnuematics over the novelty and portability of combustions.

yeah just once I would like to see a contest just for combustions or just for BBMG.

EDIT: Can I just start up a contest for BBMGs for this month. Just a small little contest for all those BBMG fans that never get to win any contest?

It would be like this:

1. Aesthetics 1-25
2. Innovative 1-15
3. Performance 1-20
Max Total: 60pts

A panel of judges would decide the top 5 of the entries nominated and then each member of the site would make a vote post set up something like this:

--------------------------------------------------------
Your Pick: The made up gun of doom

1. Aesthetics - 5
2. Innovative - 10
3. Performance - 15
--------------------------------------------------------

If a person does not post with this format there vote would not count.

The average of each gun would be figured out and it would decide the winner.Oh and another thing, only guns made in the last year can be posted.

starman wrote:I like the idea of having several catagories

combustion/hybrid
pneumatic
airsoft/BB
open technology, electrothermal, coil gun, etc.

and then rank each based on David's suggestion. I think this would encourage more participation and also have more winners in the end.

Just a thought..

starman wrote:How about entering multiple times as long as it's only once per catagory. In other words, one hyperspace . :roll: .gun in the open catagory and my latest auto marble pneumatic [yeah right] in the closed pneumatic catagory.

Also instead of a stating a prize now, wait until all the donations and entry fees have been collected and announce.

MrCrowley wrote:Okay if it's alright with PCGUY you can enter one cannon per category, only one and it can't be the same cannon. You also have to pay an entry fee for each cannon.

I wouldn't mind that, don't see any problem with it.

Larda wrote:I was more thinking of the big contest, i have some plans for a new gun that will put the ETG in shame. :D

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Spud Cannon Related