Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

burst disk cannon with new valve( i think)

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
burst disk cannon with new valve( i think)

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Ok so i think this is a new way to triger a burst disk, please tell me if im wrong. Ok so the cannon isn't done yet to no damage pics but here it is i plan to run it at 100psi

The valve: so the primary chamber is filled up to 100psi, next to that is a 100psi bust disk, and next to that is the secondary chamber wich is filled to 30 psi and finally a 50psi burst disk wich leads to the barrel.

Attachments
DSC06858.JPG
the body
DSC06859.JPG
the secondary chambre
DSC06860.JPG
the triger
DSC06861.JPG
the first part of the site
DSC06862.JPG
the second part of the site
DSC06866.JPG
screw in the barrel so ammo dosent fall thrue
dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I suppose in theory it could work, however, I imagine there would be quite a bit of air lost through the blowgun valve, since it would not stop leaking air until you let go of the trigger, and the activation of the second burst disc would take longer because air would be passing through the valve, so might not even burst until you close the valve, depending on how much air can pass through the valve,

That in mind, it looks very likely that all the air would go through the first disc, then the next one would just channel it out the blowgun valve.

So if that is the case, you need a way to restrict the amount of air the blowgun valve can release, perhaps by means of a tank attached to it

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Well ill test it first to see if your right but i think that it will work becouse the second disk is only a 50psi disk so it should burst very quickly

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 pm

That is true, however, will there even be 50 psi when the pressure is al being released through the blowgun.

As a favour to me when you test fire, try keeping the blowgun valve open for the entire time and see if it still fires, because then you will really know how much air is being diverted.

At any rate, Good luck with the cannon!

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:57 pm

thanks, and I will

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: starman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Interesting concept, probably not very practical without a couple of preset regulators fixed on the right psi filling each "chamber"...plus, getting the burst disks reliable and in place. Dealing with one of them is a lot of trouble....2 would be no fun.

You would also want to setup some kind of a closing or check valve on your blowgun to keep the main chamber air from leaking from it.

Some good thinking here though... :wink:

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:59 pm

I like it. Do you have one or two fill valves? What size are your unions? It has been done a couple times before.

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Sticky_Tape » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:02 pm

The flow will be constricted enough through the blowgun to let the second disk rupture very very quickly. Come on you ohnestly think that the blowgun will let sooo much air out that the second disk won't rupture? lolz no offence. I think it will be olny a little more powerful than a well made piston valve. That's why I didn't continue the construction of mine and stripped it for parts.

You can tell how awesome a cannon is by the pressure used.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/high-pr ... 12803.html
xnt rnm ne z ahtbg
Sticky_Tape
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Sticky tape: Thanks you

Jhon 89: the unions are 3/4 in., the chambre is 1 in. and the barrel is 1/2in. and there are two fill valves but i do like starmans idea of one fill valve and two regs.

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Well here was my idea when I was going to make a triggered burst was just have a ball valve between the two chambers and when you reach the pressure in your secondary chamber close the valve an fill up the primary chamber.

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: starman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Sticky_Tape wrote:The flow will be constricted enough through the blowgun

A blowgun will let more air through than you might think, especially with the relatively small chambers used on this gun. I think a blowgun may just have a chance to "short out" that second burst disk.

You may want to keep the flow resticter installed or use a basketball needle on the blowgun.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Here is what I was looking for http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/triggered-burst-disk-by-pilgrimman-t12809.html.

Starman: I think the pressure will take the past of least resistance being through the union.

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:43 am

Interesting design. I believe this is called a burst disk cascade.

Maybe you should replace the blowgun for a hammer valve, minimizing air loss. Just one small tap venting off air and the first disk breaks.

I think the current one will work, but still alot of air will be wasted, especially if you press the blowgun wide open.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 am

Looks interesting.
I wonder if a mixture could be "deiseled" using maybe an air chamber, rich fuel chamber, and a higher pressure air/oxydizer chamber.
It seems like once slammed together at enough pressure BOOm like a diesel engine ignition, course I think a diesel needs a high x mix (?) 8)

EDIT: no one else mentioned it but, I had problems with a blow gun like that leaking when installed that way. Seems they're only designed for one way flow. :? 8)
EDIT2: I hope you're planning on adding a hose clamp on the tube for blow nozzle once installed in the other end because if it pops off, or leaks enough it will trigger the gun.

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 pm

@ jon_89

Yeah, I was goona post that link :D

You will not have problems with the blowgun using up too much air. My triggered burst disk gun worked great with a blowgun! Sounds like a bomb going off at high pressures :shock: You will definitely enjoy yours!

One more suggestion is to increase the pressure in the middle area so the back area can go even higher :twisted:

Glad this idea is being developed! The only actual implementations I am aware of are mine, yours, and I think DYI made one as well.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related