Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

gatling gun airsoft

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
gatling gun airsoft

Unread postAuthor: raptorforce » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:45 am

are they this simple:

(pneumatic)air runs constantly though a pipe without stopping
and the barrels spin around and they pick up a bb while spinning. then the air would push it out of the barrel when it reaches the pipe
(electric) a gearbox is set to run at a certain speed and the barrels run at a certain speed but the same speed. they have to be connected to the same battery so when its gets low the rof does not become unsynchronized. at it picks of a bb while spinning.

at least this is how i think they work but there are some flaws in the idea

what do you think

raptorforce
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:13 am

Been suggested before but never actually made as far as I can tell. I would basically be a cloud BBMG with spinning multiple barrels instead of a single one. The barrel restriction would allow bigger pressure buildup in the chamber and technically more power, plus you can regulate rate of fire to a desired level by varying the revs per minute.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:51 am

without a valve or perfect smooth, rotating seal it will just hemmorhage air at a massive rate. May as well just make a vortex/cloud. If your going to make a gatling the best way is using a valve (rotary). Which opens at a certain stage in the revolution cycle, like this:

It's difficult to explain, but isn't hard to make and is effective. Instead of the bb being picked up, just make an airtight grav or spring fed magazine for each barrel, with a magnet catch to hold the bb in place when it falls into the breech. It's actually easy, and I'm building a modified rotary valve for a micro gatling (or a new air/CO2 motor) next time I can get to the hobbyshop to pick up some telescopic tubing..

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: raptorforce » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:10 am

hmm intresting just wanted to see what people would say.

raptorforce
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:17 am

inonickname wrote:without a valve or perfect smooth, rotating seal it will just hemmorhage air at a massive rate...

If your components were tight fitting enough, I don't think it would we wasteful at all, considering the notion that a BBMG just dumps air through the barrel.

It's difficult to explain, but isn't hard to make and is effective. Instead of the bb being picked up, just make an airtight grav or spring fed magazine for each barrel, with a magnet catch to hold the bb in place when it falls into the breech.

I had this idea back on spudtech where gas would be fed into an air motor like this one, used to rotate the barrels of a gatling type gun, and the exhaust coming out of the cylinder would be fed into the barrels to fire the shot.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:27 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
inonickname wrote:without a valve or perfect smooth, rotating seal it will just hemmorhage air at a massive rate...

If your components were tight fitting enough, I don't think it would we wasteful at all, considering the notion that a BBMG just dumps air through the barrel.

It's difficult to explain, but isn't hard to make and is effective. Instead of the bb being picked up, just make an airtight grav or spring fed magazine for each barrel, with a magnet catch to hold the bb in place when it falls into the breech.

I had this idea back on spudtech where gas would be fed into an air motor like this one, used to rotate the barrels of a gatling type gun, and the exhaust coming out of the cylinder would be fed into the barrels to fire the shot.

That's a good idea and design, but has a few flaws. The air gets expanded in the cylinder, making it weaker (well that's what happened to me). Air motors get very hot (I guess CO2, cooling as it expands might help) which burns your hand.. it hurts. And air engines might be out of the technical experience of some people (and tool access), but this could be built by anyone really (with some experience and materials. And last of all, the air engine must be routed to only one barrel, and be able to switch.

I'll edit in a diagram of what I mean by mine.

(I state the weaker part, because when I used my air engine to pulse feed for a auto feed, it was extremely weak. Probably more to do with the fit of the piston in the cylinder.

inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:35 am

inonickname wrote:(I state the weaker part, because when I used my air engine to pulse feed for a auto feed, it was extremely weak. Probably more to do with the fit of the piston in the cylinder.

No doubt about that, this is something you'd make out of mechanical interest rather than power, unless you were using high pressure.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:47 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
inonickname wrote:(I state the weaker part, because when I used my air engine to pulse feed for a auto feed, it was extremely weak. Probably more to do with the fit of the piston in the cylinder.

No doubt about that, this is something you'd make out of mechanical interest rather than power, unless you were using high pressure.

Yep, and I just realised an issue with using the motor as a valve: you cannot vary the speed of the engine (and thus change the firing rate) without directly influencing the power.

Here are the pics:

Attachments
gatling gun valve.PNG
Gatling/minigun valve diagram.
gatling gun valve.PNG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
gatling gun barrel setup.PNG
Gatling/mingun barrel config digram
gatling gun barrel setup.PNG (2.98 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to General Spud Cannon Related