Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 38 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Combustion OR Pneumatic Cannon

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Combustion OR Pneumatic Cannon

Unread postAuthor: Spuderson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Hello, all. This is my first post on here.
I have been spuddin for about a week now and am already addicted and with some research have already designed what i think will be my next gun. I figured i would post on here my designs and see what you guys think.
I am shooting for a gun that will never bore me. It will (hopefully) feature any possible barrel and be either combustive or pneumatic...

There are the designs. The top is the shared chamber.
When combustive, simply spray and put on the clean out cap.. and press the stun gun
When pneumatic, attach the bottom part, add pressure and pull the trigger.

I didn't put any barrels but if you know anything about how they work.. well the sky is the limit so i just left that out of the diagram.

Basically I want to know how possible this looks and if it is possible what you would change.

Thanks for reading.

Spuderson
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Combustion Monkey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:20 pm

To save yourself time and money i recommend designing the gun so that you can swap out parts as you gather more information and decide what you are after. Something I wish someone had told me when i was laying out mine. Ideally i guess you could build one so that it could be either combustion or pneumatic depending on wether you want to travel (combustion) or have an air supply (pneumatic).

And as far as the ignition goes i recommend a spark strip the wraps around the inside of the combustion chamber. They are easy to build out of scrap PVC and wire and they work like a charm. I hope this helps. Have fun Spudding!

PS Make it a coaxial, all the cool kids are, or may be its just that i love them!

Combustion Monkey
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:42 pm

With clean out caps and such, and with drywall screws, you would lose allot of air when in pneumatic mode, I would suggest just starting simple, with either pure combustion with interchangeable barrels, or a nice simple pneumatic rifle...

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea, but for your first, just stick with simple. I would go with just a combustion, because they are super cheap, safe and simple, but can be O SO powerful if built right. Just make changeable barrels and you are set.

Add me on MSN to chat about whatever!
sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: starman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:19 pm

While not impossible, the two aren't really compatible with each other if you want high performing guns. What you can do is build into your guns a camlock or screw breech system where barrels can be interchanged. But otherwise, plan to build seperate core units...you'll be glad you did and you'll find each plenty challenging enough without trying to compromise and accommodate both designs into one.

Take some time and look through the showcases. There are hundreds of example waiting to provide inspiration.

Welcome to Spudfiles!

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Those cleanout caps and bell reducers don't look pressure rated. If you intend on using it as a pneumatic, you would want all pressure rated parts.

I don't really see the advantage of combining two cannon types into one, but hey, whatever floats your boat :D

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Combustion Monkey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Sorry if i confused things a bit. I was just saying that as a best case. But i believe the combustion is the way to start. It may be a little tricky at first but once the basics are figured out they can be applied to anything. I suppose thats true of pneumatics as well, but i have no experience with them at all.

Combustion Monkey
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Spuderson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:44 pm

I've already made 1 and a half guns. Sorry, forgot to mention that. I made a small combustive myself.
(3" x 24" chamber, 2 1/2" x 30" barrel, flint spark)
And also just today actually helped my friend make a combustive (thus the 1/2) ... (4"x 24" chamber, interchangeable barrels).. shot an orange out of the 3" barrel probably a good 150 yards. lol. but anyway... there is my experience...

I just felt like doing something a little different but also building a bigger combustive with changing barrels.... thus the combo..

I will likely try to just make a pure pneumatic. Its hard to find a how to on a good pneumatic though. The combustive write ups are everywhere... but the pneumatics are hard to find... that or I'm just stupid.

once again, thanks for the input.

Spuderson
Private
Private

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: starman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 pm

If you want to continue with combustion, you can take them a lot further than you have with your spray and pray...as in one of my examples

There are many other very good models as well.

However, everything you need to know about building any size or type of pneumatic can be found within these pages. Dedicate yourself to a few hours of study in the pneumatic showcase and forum and it will come to you, I guarantee it... :wink:

Check out all the stickies in the forums. Lots of good theory and construction info there.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 am

Making a do everything cannon without compromising anything at all has crossed my mind as well. It would be a challenge and would be sweet if it got pulled off.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Spuderson » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:17 pm

That thing looks pretty insane. What are the mods?

Spuderson
Private
Private

Return to General Spud Cannon Related