Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Electrically actuated valves and some wiring questions

A place to ask general spud cannon related questions.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Electrically actuated valves and some wiring questions

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I've been searching the forums for over a hour and I haven't found what I need, maybe I'm just retarded. :roll:

I need a valve that can be electrically actuated by a few 9 volt dc batteries in parallel. The size doesn't matter very much as it will be used to dump metered propane to the chamber but will have to be able to withstand the combustion (1x mix). The ones I have found are over a hundred dollars and run on 120 vac.

As a last resort I could use sprinkler valves but those are rather bulky and heavy. But they're in my price range.

As far as the wiring goes would I be able to run both off the same battery pack separated by a switch?
How could you hook up the batteries with a relay or something for it to be wireless? What would you use for wireless? infrared

Sorry if somebody has already asked this question I did some pretty intense searching and it didn't turn up anything.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: CS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:02 pm

What you need is a "soleniod valve". I'd bet you can get one for under $25 shipped off eBay. Couple things you want to be aware of.

-Make sure it has NPT threads
-Look for something DC, not AC
-Get a 3 way valve. In its "off" state the meter can filled, and in the "on" state the metered gas can be released into the chamber. (If that doesn't make sense please ask for clarification)

Also I would definitely not recommend a sprinkler valve for metering propane. Can't imagine it being consistent enough, not to mention bulky and unnecessary.

Yes you could use batteries to power the solenoid. Also you could find a DC wall charger of similar voltage to power it.

Wireless... A bit ambitious. Anyways they have electronic kits for this. They can be ripped from garage door openers and such. Check allelectronics.com

Last edited by CS on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:10 pm

This is an airhorn solenoid valve...works great on 12- 24 volts...

You can get them from this guy on Ebay.

Also, use a couple of 9v batteries in series for this, not in parallel.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:41 pm

pimpmann22 wrote:What you need is a "soleniod valve". I'd bet you can get one for under $25 shipped off eBay.Also I would definitely not recommend a sprinkler valve for metering propane. Can't imagine it being consistent enough, not to mention bulky and unnecessary.

Isn't a sprinkler valve a solenoid valve? The sprinkler would just be releasing the gas not regulating it.

pimpmann22 wrote:-Get a 3 way valve. In its "off" state the meter can filled, and in the "on" state the metered gas can be released into the chamber. (If that doesn't make sense please ask for clarification)

Whats the third part then?Wouldn't that be a 2 way valve?

@starman
This looks decent I assume you connect those two leads to a switch and power to trigger it.

mobile chernobyl wrote:I can shoot a Canuter Valve off my '82 Chevy Ram F150 AT LEAST 3/4 Mile with 'ma cannon made of soup cans duct taped together, then I just squirt some bacardi 151 in the chamber and hold up my cigarrete lighta and WHOOSH! That thing flies at least 3/4 mile
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Electrically actuated valves and some wiring questions

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:29 pm

jonnyboy wrote:As far as the wiring goes would I be able to run both off the same battery pack separated by a switch?

Yes.

How could you hook up the batteries with a relay or something for it to be wireless? What would you use for wireless? infrared

Infrared can be a bit tricky, my personal favourite method is with an old cordless phone. I made a thread about it a while back, search "phone remote". You could also just run long wires, that's probably the simplest way.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 pm

jonnyboy wrote:@starman
This looks decent I assume you connect those two leads to a switch and power to trigger it.

Yep, it's normally closed, powering the solenoid opens the valve. The side opening is 1/8" female NPT if you unscrew and discard that hose barb, and the ouput (horn side) is make 1/4" NPT. These priced very nicely as well.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: CS » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 pm

This is what a 3-way valve looks like:

[Ignore the pneumatic cylinder on the right, rather imagine a length of metering pipe.]

Top Right: This would be the inlet for the propane. (EX: From cylinder)
Bottom Left: This would be the outlet for the propane. (EX: To chamber)
Left: This would be the metering tube.

CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 pm

pimpmann22 wrote:This is what a 3-way valve looks like:

I've had trouble finding affordable 3 way solenoid valves...anyone have any supplier recommendations?

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks for the help guys you really cleared things up.

@starman
I found some used asco valves on ebay for about 20 dollars but thats not quite reliable.

edit looked at your phone remote it looks a little over my head so I guess I will be using wires.

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: starman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:27 am

jonnyboy wrote:@starman
I found some used asco valves on ebay for about 20 dollars but thats not quite reliable.

Links please?

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:26 am

Here's a 1/4 inch asco valve
[url]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASCO-3-Way-1-4-Valv ... 1|294%3A50[/url]

Formatting doesn't seem to work for links that long. :(

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:30 am

What concerns me is that they're meant to run off 120VAC. I hope the 27V output of 3 9V batteries would be enough...

Guess you can't really go wrong for $10.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 pm

It would be good to add some info on flow control valves on wiki... lots of people have been asking for them for the past several months...

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:19 pm

You might consider looking around for dishwasher or clothes washer water control valves. They are either solenoid operated diaphram or simple port valves.

Often, they are rated for 24V AC but in my experience they work fine with 9V DC.

Code: Select all
24 Vac solenoid valve. Inlet valve has 3/4" male thread and has a filter screen. Mounting flanges on both sides of inlet with screw slots on 1.5" centers. Metal outlet valve with 1/2" male pipe thread. Includes a compression nut with 0.53" hole and rubber bushing. Plastic solenoid body, inlet valve and diaphragm housing. 0.25" qc solder terminals on solenoid.

I used the above valve for a BBMG. Since it is for use in household water lines it needs to be able to withstand at least 100 PSIG.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:43 pm

jimmy101 wrote:You might consider looking around for dishwasher or clothes washer water control valves. They are either solenoid operated diaphram or simple port valves.

Often, they are rated for 24V AC but in my experience they work fine with 9V DC.

I used the above valve for a BBMG. Since it is for use in household water lines it needs to be able to withstand at least 100 PSIG.

The valve probably converts for dc anyway since it's using mains power.

I've been looking for a solution for venting the cannon I could use another 3 way valve but I've heard of valves that are "open" and close under pressure, it's not a check valve because it wouldn't allow venting with atmospheric pressure. some people have used them to vent their combustion cannons

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to General Spud Cannon Related